Home theater speaker question

We’re having some work done on the house soon, and since it involves moving some can lights in our family room ceiling, I was thinking about adding some speakers up there at the same time, to run to the TV/receiver.

This is on the main floor, and my son’s bedroom is directly above the family room. If I put speakers in the space directly below his floor, will the sound be loud in his room? There is wall-to-wall carpet in his room if that matters. Of course the speakers will be pointed down, away from his room, but I don’t want to keep him awake while we watch movies at night.

There’s a good chance that the bass will couple to the floor above, and be annoying. You could try to minimize this by putting the speakers in an isolation box, and then mounting the box with elastomeric shock mounts. There’s no way to tell how well this will work until you actually try it.

I don’t know, but I will say that everything I’ve read says that ceiling speakers don’t work all that well. They can work for background music, but in-walls (or just regular speakers) are better for watching movies or serious music listening. So, think about what you’re going to be using them for. I don’t have personal experience with this, though.

I’m not the one to ask your question to, but to a certain extent I think it would depend on whether there’s an enclosure on the back of the speaker. If there’s just a bare speaker that uses the house as an enclosure, you’d probably get more sound leakage than if the speaker comes with a cabinet that you put up there.

I would ask at the AVS forums here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ There are some knowledgeable people there and even some industry professionals.

Thanks for the link, thirdname, I’ll try that out.