homemade ice cream recipe question

I’m making some home made ice cream tomorrow. When I pulled out my moms recipe i noticed that it called for 8-10 eggs. But here’s the deal, this recipe doesn’t have you cook the mixture. Basically you mix with the other ingredients and add it to the ice cream freezer.

For you experienced cooks out there… What are your thoughts on that I am looking for facts, so I decided this was the best forum.

HELP!! :slight_smile:

Well, mayonnaise is just an emulsion of raw eggs and fat, and millions of people eat it every day.

I don’t own an ice cream maker, but I have one ice cream recipe that works really well just straight in the freezer. It calls for 6 egg yolks.

First, you boil a water/sugar solution for 5 minutes. Beat the eggs for a while. Then stream the hot sugar mixture into the eggs. So they are essentially cooked.
-D/a

If you’re concerned, get pasteurized eggs.

The fear over raw eggs is a quite bit over-exaggerated nowadays, the contamination risk is something like 1 in 30,000. Like RealityChuck said you could use pasteurized eggs if you’re really concerned, but eggs are probably safer than most of the stuff you use anyway, since the shells tend to act as barriers to bacteria.

If your recipe also calls for heavy cream, that is going to be some awesome ice cream!

The outside of the shells is more likely to be contaminated than the interior. Wash them in hot water before you break the eggs will help. But it’s really unlikely to have any problems.

:slight_smile: yep. Heavy cream, Eagle brand milk, vanilla, sugar…

please post recipes

I agree with what everyone has said about non-cooked eggs being pretty safe, and I myself have made ice cream with “raw” eggs with no ill effects. But in my opinion a cooked custard has an extra flavor/richness that is worth the effort of cooking it in and of itself, regardless of safety. The obvious solution is to make two batches of ice cream, one raw and one cooked, and try it for yourself :slight_smile:

Just barely simmer the cream/milk, in the meantime beat the sugar into the egg whites. Remove the dairy from heat, add the egg/sugar mixture while stirring. Return to low heat, and stir constantly until there’s a whisper of steam on the surface. Remove from heat, let cool, and add any flavorings. Don’t add any flavor extracts too early, or much of the flavor will volatilize off.

Our family recipe for ice cream has uncooked eggs. We’ve been making it forever and I’ve never known anyone to have had problems with it.

If you have Mexican vanilla, use that.

Our recipes for both ice cream and key lime pie call for raw eggs. If we are going to be serving it to small kids, older adults, or folks with immune system issues, we always use pasteurized eggs. It’s just not worth the risk, when it is so easy for us to avoid the issue.

Sounds extremely risky! You had better have a team of SMDB people to test the first 2 or 3 batches for you.

I volunteer.

For the love of GAWD, don’t buy into that nonsense of letting the freshly-churned ice cream “ripen.”

Right out of the can, or licked straight from the churn blades, it’s the best soft-serve on the planet!

Now I’m drooling…
~VOW

Maybe it goes without saying, but if you’re going to wash the eggs, also dry them thoroughly (and your hands) before cracking them.

You’ll never wash off all the bacteria on anything without scrubbing and using cleaning chemicals - what you do achieve by washing eggs, is the removal of any loose particles of contamination, however, if the egg is dripping wet when cracked, those drips probably contain some of the pathogens in suspension - so you don’t want them falling in the bowl.

Nobody has yet posted a RECIPE? Ok, here is the Kasson family recipe, handed down for umpteen years. The metric measurements are my own addition.

9 eggs
3 cups sugar(21-1/4 ounces)(600 grams)

Beat together thoroughly, making sure the sugar is dissolved. Beat in 4 Tablespoons(60 ml) vanilla, Mexican if you can get it.

1 quart half and half(light cream)(950 ml)

Add half and half to egg/sugar mix and mix thoroughly. Then beat in

4-3/4 cups whole milk.(1125 ml)

Pour ice cream mix into container. It shouldn’t be more than 2/3 of the way to the top. Freeze as directed.

If you wish to make this recipe even richer, substitute heavy cream for the light, and use light cream for the whole milk.

I make ice cream all the time that does not include eggs, and it’s absolutely delicious. I even reduce the amount of cream in the recipes I use and substitute whole milk and it’s still delicious, especially fresh strawberry. I’m going from memory on the recipe, which was based on one that came with my ice cream maker:
1 pint fresh strawberries, hulled and sliced
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
1-1/2 cups whole milk
1-1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Mix 1/3 cup of the sugar, the lemon juice, and the strawberries in a bowl and let macerate for 2 hours. Drain, saving the liquid. At this point I puree the berries, but you can leave them in slices or just mash them a bit. In a chilled bowl, whisk the milk and remaining sugar until sugar is completely dissolved. Stir in the cream, reserved berry liquid and vanilla, and put in the ice cream freezer. Add the berries or berry puree about 5 minutes before the ice cream is done.

The first ice cream I made was a custard-based concoction and it was too time-consuming for me, required too many different operations and created too many dirty dishes. The cream and milk recipes are much easier for lazy cooks like me.

Be very careful if you are heating up eggs to use in ice cream. They should be ‘tempered’ in. Not only can they scramble, if you cook them too long it gives the ice cream a scorched taste. I usually make Philadelphia style ice cream, no-egg, using milk sugar cream vanilla and adding berries or other flavorings. And often cocoa and/or espresso powder. Now here’s a question, the last batch I made, I made with heavy cream and milk, but somewhere along the way, the ice cream came out with a peculiar mouth feel of ‘butter’ - I think somehow it did transform itself into butter! Did I mix the milk/cream/sugar/vanilla too much, trying to get the sugar to dissolve, is that why there are butter flecks in it? (I know, I should have made a sugar syrup to dissolve it, but I was in a hurry.)

Is frozen yogurt allowed in this thread?

Banana Chocolate Chip Frozen Yogurt

1 c. non-fat or low-fat plain Greek yogurt
2 medium bananas, sliced and frozen
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 tbs. honey
1 shot rum
1/2 c. dark chocolate chips

Blend the first 5 ingredients in a food processor until smooth, stopping occasionally to scrape the sides of the bowl. Add dark chocolate chips and pulse 5 times. Pour mixture into an ice cream maker. Run the ice cream maker for 10-15 minutes. Pour mixture into a freezer-safe container and freeze for 2 hours. Remove container from freezer 10 minutes before serving. Makes about 1 pint.

This has a very tangy yogurt flavor, which I like. You could use vanilla-favored Greek yogurt and skip the vanilla in the recipe instead. Or add an extra banana. This is a recipe I enjoy playing with.

You can make rennet based ice cream and skip the eggs if you wish: Junket Rennet.

Ice cream recipes here.

This is the stuff I grew up on!