Honey dippers

I received a gift certificate to the Container Store and one of the things I got was a honey jar & dipper. The dipper is one of those hive-shaped ones that captures the honey in the slots. I’ve never used one of these before, relying on bear-shaped squeeze bottles up to this point in my life, and it’s a really annoying tool. Is there some sort of trick to this? It captures the honey, but never lets it go! If you hold the thing for ages over your English muffin, eventually, it will drip tiny strands of honey onto it. Forget trying to get a teaspoon of honey into your tea. It would take a year. I’m assuming I’m missing something here and not holding the thing right, or something. Please enlighten me.

Bump - because I’ve always wondered about these things too. I assume they live in the honey jar permanently (as in the example you give) and are just used to move the honey from the jar to the muffin. They would seem to work OK for that. Hold vertical to capture honey, turn sideways to let the honey to flow out, right?

What you do is dip the thingy into the honey and then pull it out with a big gob of honey stuck to it. In order to keep the big gob of honey attached to the thing you hold it horizontally while spinning it slowly. You will notice there is a tidal effect on the gob, it wants to drip off but if you keep it spinning at the right speed you keep putting the dripping off part back on the top. Once you have it positioned over your muffin or whatever you stop spinning and the gob will fall off.

Man, I thought this thread was going to be about something else.

LoL. So did I. I was just surprised that anyone else used that particular euphamism.