Hopless Beer

Are there any hopless beers available commercially that anyone can recommend?

Completely hopless even if you can’t taste it, or.? . . is this a taste or health/allergy issue? A lot of traditional beers (like much Belgian beer) have very little to no hop taste and aroma, although they are added as a preservative (they’ll let the hops age until they are very bland).

There’s a beer made in Scotland called Fraoch, which is made with heather but without hops. Not sure how widely available it is, though.

Ah, also tell us where you are, as “commercially available” means something very different in Portland, Oregon versus Starkville, Mississippi, as I have discovered. Not to mention Ghent or Munich.

These days, beer is kinda defined as a “hopped malt beverage.” I’ve made beer using gruit instead of hops, just for giggles, but other than the previously reference heather ale, I’m not aware of any commercially produced hop-free beer.

I misread the title as “hopeless beer”.

I’m in Houston - so if it’s imported to the US I can a hold of it. It is not an allergy issue - I’m just interested in having some brew that doesen’t taste like hops. I know that’s kinda like saying I want some beer that doesen’t taste like beer but oh well. I had some home brew at a party on Friday that had no hops and it was really good. I am up for suggestions of beers that have little or no hops taste even if they do contain some hops.

<mod>

Let’s hop over to Cafe Society and see what answers you can get over there.

Moved

</mod>

Coors.

Ask the brewer what style he was shooting for, then hit the grogshops and start looking. The maltier the brew, the less the hops taste unless you work for Stone Brewing. Look into bocks, English milds, and the various Belgian stylings.

There’s also Spruce beer (which I’ve never tasted) that I hear is available from Siletz Brewing Company and “Poor Richard’s Tavern Spruce”.
Seem to recall some Scandinavian examples, but damned if I can recall any names.

Or take up homebrewing.

I have several bottles of this in the fridge. I like it very much and can recommend it without reservation. It might be hard to find, and it’s definitely more expensive than other beers (comes in four-packs at the same price as other high-end six-packs), but it’s like nothing else out there.

Wow, talk about timing. My local beer specialty store had a Dutch hopless beer on tap, which uses a recipe dating back to the 1400’s as brewed in their monasteries.

I can’t recall the name of it (it was in Dutch, of course), but honestly, it didn’t taste all that great. I’ll see if I can get the name for you. Not sure how widely available it is – this store manages to get some pretty odd stuff.

That would be Rolling Rock :wink:

Few Belgian beers, IMO, have much of a hop taste. With American brews just avoid anything called a lager, IPA, ESB, or any other bitter. Try stouts and porters.

I doubt there’s anything available commercially today, but didn’t brewers used to use nettles to preserve beer until they discovered hops were tastier?

Do you mean lambics, only? Most of the Abby beers have tasteable hops. Not strong like Hop Pocket, but very different than the lambics.

To me, Miller products are practically hopless. But I would second the recommendation of stouts, porters, Belgian ales, and lambics, most of which have very mild to almost non-existant hoppiness. I can’t taste hops at all in lambics, and even in most doubles and trippels I struggle to find the hop component.

I swear I had a hopless beer at Houston’s Ginger Man. In fact, the name was something like “Ahop.” It only reinforced my love of hops.

Doesn’t seem to be on the current list. Perhaps you should drop by for some “research.”

http://houston.gingermanpub.com/

No. Bite your tongue. Don’t give people bad ideas.

No, you read it correctly.

“Bartender. You know the hops you’re leaving out of his beer? Yeah, put them in mine.”

Opinionated? Who, me? :smiley: