Horrible AND fascinating catastrophic workplace accident videos

Guy was doing something with a huge lathe/spindle. I watched part one, realized where that was going to end up, and decided that was enough for now. Not so much “sucked into” as “wrapped around without regard to the need to leave bones intact”.

That Russian guy getting literally wrapped around a lathe ignored safety blatantly and it ended up costing him his life, and not even in a quick, painless way (he resisted for a while).

Wearing a long-sleeved jacket and then bending over a rotating lathe shaft were two huge red flags, even if the full video was titled “how to operate a powerful lathe”, with zero expectation of doom.

If I had to guess, the 56-yo mechanic had done jobs like his last one for years. Maybe this was the first time he didn’t remove his jacket before bending over the machine shaft, due to complacency.

I use woodworking machinery pretty often, and know full well how they can mangle a hand or worse in a split second. I’m always extremely alert about where my hands are and where they end up in relation to the blade with each action I take. I can control my bare hands and arms 100 % in relation to the moving, mangling parts, but not any gloves, sleeves etc. I still have all my fingers.

Very low quality and not what I’d call gory but shows how fast things can go from normal to dead. A guy on an oil drill gets caught on a vertical shaft and is basically spun apart.
NSFW:

I came across this video today that describes the accident. It does also show the remains of the diver that was pushed through a 4 inch gap so, if you’re not sure, don’t. You may be interested to note that his watchband appears to have survived.
NSFW youtube link:

I think your Google login counts.

Another login I never use.

I don’t know if it was Mumbai or where it was, but around the same time that I saw the videos this thread is about I also saw a video of one man at night walking beside a train moving in the opposite direction. The area he was walking on Was a very narrow strip leaving barely any room between the moving train and the wall.

The gentleman in the video was distracted, he probably worked there, and was extremely casual about maneuvering in such a tight area next to a moving train. Of course, he suddenly found himself knocked a bit “off” when a small gate bounced back from someplace it shouldn’t and in the next eyeblink he is sucked into the virtually nonexistent “space” between the wheels and cement he had been walking on.

Safety first, kids.

Reminds of the entire family that drowned sequentially as they raced to save one after the other when not a one could swim…

That story is true but it wasn’t a refinery. CERT exercise I was tasked with being one of the dead and I had snaked an unplugged extension cord around some boxes and put the end under my calf. Told an exercise coordinator about it and he got this wicked smile. It did get 3 people - one and a half teams. The 4th guy saw his partner go down so he looked around and saw the bright orange cable under my leg and caught on to what was happening.

I had so much fun being the victim in those exercises except for the time the students tried to drag my dead body down a flight of stairs.

ETA: I’m sure I’m not the first to think of it.

In one USAF exercise we dragged an exercise “casualty” down a long carpeted office corridor to safety; he was far too big to carry. His shirt hiked up during the drag and the resulting real world rug burn was epic.

Who knew being “hurt” could be so dangerous? :slight_smile:

That was pushing 40 years ago now and I doubt he’s forgotten or forgiven us yet.

Hey, my friend’s dog jumped in a Yellowstone hot spring. Let me jump in and save it.

That actually happened.

Yup.

I know. That’s why I said it.

Talk about a hot dog!

In high school shop class, we had a project to make a parallel jaw clamp. I was turning one of the two threaded rods in a lathe, using what I recall was called a lathe-dog to hold the one end in the chuck. I was getting almost to the end of the pass when the spinning lathe-dog hit the corner of the tool rest and came flying off, still holding the now bent rod, and passed probably about 6 inches from my head on it’s way to the far side of the classroom. The shops teacher was relieved that I wasn’t hurt, but I still had to make another threaded rod to complete the project. Sadly, I let the clamp get so rusty it froze up and I had to discard it some 15 years after high school.

See, I would have said the opposite. A table saw might take off a finger or two, and a wood router might turn your fingertip into pink mist. OTOH, a metalworking lathe of any significant size has enough torque to wrap your entire body around the chuck and/or workpiece, as aptly demonstrated by the horrifying video somewhere upthread.

Natural Gas plant explosion in Mexico:

Table saws, at least, have been tamed by SawStop. Routers, yeah, they’re hamburger makers. :scream: