Hot Dog!

That reminds me. After reading of it here, I am starting to eat hot dogs with Sriracha sauce.

I’ve tried Sriracha and peanut butter, but haven’t come up with the right ratio yet. (Good, but nothing special.)

Bun toasted, good stone ground mustard and sauerkraut.

I like Chicago dogs, or with ketchup and mustard, but when I’m at home, it’s peanut butter and ketchup.

Are you sure about that? I never saw a Chicago dog with ketchup on it. Sounds blasphemous!

I like 'em plain too! Either steamed or grilled. Bun can be toasted or not. No biggie. I also dig them with chili and cheese.

Brown mustard and sauerkraut. If no sauerkraut is available then chopped onion is an inferior, but acceptable, substitute.

I don’t always eat the same way.

1. Ketchup and mayo
  2. Homemade hot dog chili
  3. Canned hot dog chili and cheese
  4. Grilled onions and peppers
  5. Carmelized onions and horseradish sauce (the creamy kind, which is like horsey mayo)

The option I choose usually depends on how the dogs are cooked, what kind of dog it is, whether or not I feel like making hot dog chili, is the grill already hot, etc. There’s probably not much I wouldn’t try on a dog except relish. I may have even eaten one with Creole mustard.

Speaking of relish, my mom makes a green tomato relish that’s very good too. I don’t know what culture that comes from, though.

at a bare minimum mustard
preferably spicy brown
and onion

best is chili, mustard and onions.

Everyday when I was pregnant I would walk over to the 7-11 and get a chili cheese dog with mustard and onions.
Had to have it.
Now I think the cheese is overkill.

I couldn’t do a plain hot dog, nor could I do one with catsup.

I don’t always eat hot dogs but when I do, I always put mustard on them (and sometimes kraut if it’s available).

I’m not including chili and/or cheese because that would make it a chili dog or Coney Island which are two completely different types of sausage-based sandwiches. They’re both good but they’re not hot dogs.

Yellow mustard. That is all.

I’m with the OP - naked is best.

As far as the best dog - I miss the ones from the Dirty O near the Pitt campus… Got me thru many a late night study session at Carnegie Tech.

Hope this isn’t considered thread drift, but when I’m at a hot dog stand, likely as not I’ll order a “Maxwell Street Polish.” At least, that’s what they call it in Chicago (grilled polish sausage, grilled onions, and usually mustard). What do they call that in other towns?

Yellow mustard.

1. Take hotdog bun

2. Throw away hotdog (cuz they gross)

3. Fill bun with crumbled ground beef (cooked, duh)

4. Top with chili (NO FUCKING BEANS) and chopped onions (raw)

A simple bun + polish sausage/kielbasa with no toppings is also acceptable.

That dog wouldn’t be out of place in Cleveland, but we’d just call it a “Polish boy with mustard and onions”.

You can start your own thread on hot dog prep. It won’t cost anything. :slight_smile:

Mayo (real mayo, not salad dressing)
Onions
Sweet relish
Alternately:

Chili (smother it, gonna need a fork)
Onions
Mustard
Mayo
Cheddar Cheese

Hell yes. You can always spot the Carolina folks in a hot dog thread.

I like it your way, but I also go with chili, cheese and onions more often than not.

If I’m up north, I go with kraut and mustard.

Ketchup, spicy Southwest mustard, and Heinz Hot Dog Relish (basically yellow mustard and pickle relish together in the same bottle).