hot flashes w/o menopause

When doing an internet search on hot flashes all of the sites that came up were associated with menopause. Are hot flashes a common symptom of other things?

Thanks

Hot flashes can be a symptom of things other than menopause.

Except for menopause, the most common cause is so-called “idiopathic” meaning that no cause is apparent!

Some other causes include:

• drug or surgical treatment to induce “menopause” in men eg. medical or surgical castration for prostate cancer
  • carcinoid syndrome (quite rare)
  • pheochromocytoma (fairly rare)
  • mastocytosis (very rare)
  • hyperthyroidism (usually a constant hot feeling, not just flashes)
    Bottom line: >99.9% are associated with menopause or are idiopathic.

Just skimming. Try “Thermoregulatory Dysfunction”.

Fibromyalgia.

Something called a “thyroid storm”.
http://www.doctorgeorge.com/clinic/thyroid_storm.htm

Something called “Neuroleptic Malignant Syndrome”.
http://www.emedicine.com/emerg/topic339.htm

Are you trying to diagnose somebody who’s having hot flashes (unexplained fevers) but who couldn’t possibly be menopausal? If so, then we’re talking “serious doctor time”, babe. :frowning: We’re talking endocrine and metabolic disorders. Fibromyalgia’s not life-threatening, but the other two things are. And like I said, I was just skimming the surface.

Have it checked out.

P.S. There is also something called a Fever of Unknown Origin, or FUO. This is different from hot flashes and also ought to be checked out by a doctor. Hot flashes, by definition, come and go, but the FUO stays and stays and stays. Sometimes FUOs turn out to be mononucleosis. I had mono years ago and had fever spikes every afternoon for months after the mono itself was pronounced “cured”. And I was only 21, so it couldn’t have been hot flashes.

And a “duh” moment hits (they always wait until after you’ve gone back to the Forum–why is that?) If you ARE trying to diagnose somebody, when the hot flash hits, stick a thermometer in his mouth and take his temperature. Hot flashes don’t always register on a thermometer, because it’s your skin that’s flushed and hot, not your body core temperature. “Hot flash” is different from “fever”.

You’ll need data anyway, if you’re going to talk to a doctor.