Hotel/Restaurant recommendations in Quebec City

The missus and I are headed to Quebec City in mid-Feb for a few days during school break. We’ll be skiing in upstate NY before heading over on Monday, leaving on Thursday, skiing nearby (Le Massif, Saint-Anne) Tuesday and Wednesday.

We’d like to stay in the Old City where we could walk to nice restaurants and see a bit of the sites after a day of skiing. We’ll also have all of Monday afternoon/evening. I’d like to find a quaint and relatively inexpensive small hotel that allows us to venture out in the evenings for a night on the town. We’ll be tired from skiing so we won’t be out late or walking too far except on Monday.

Suggestions?

I’m no good for hotels, as the last time we were there we stayed in the Germaine-Dominion, which is great, but absolutely not cheap. And honestly, it was good, but I don’t know that I’d spend the money on it again.

Foodwise, though, I have a few recommendations:

SSS is casual, relatively cheap, and really good. We ate there several times, and it ended up being our nightcap place as well as it was on the way back to our hotel and they had good cocktails.

The same owners have Toast, which is upscale but very much worth the money. Had one of the best meals I’ve had in the past few years there. Really good, but definitely a higher-end place.

Another good, casual place is La Piazzetta. Yeah, it’s a pizza place, but it’s a GOOD pizza place, and they have other stuff as well. We stumbled on it after a bike ride, thinking it would be just a good, simple place to eat that was close to our hotel, and we were really pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Le Lapin Saute specializes in rabbit, and it’s great. I really like the setting, the food was good and reasonably priced (though not super cheap), and they have a cute outdoor garden if the weather’s nice. We also ate here more than once.

Those are the places that stick in my mind. Hope it helps!

Keep in mind that the Carnaval runs from January 31st until February 16th. Cheap, quiet hotels will probably be pretty rare in that period.

It’s been a decade since I was there, so I’m a bit out of touch, but Aux anciens Canadiens has always been my favourite restaurant in Québec. It’s in the old city. Mind, though, the food is traditional Québécois country fare, as the name implies, so it can be a bit on the heavy side. The tarte au sucre (maple pie) is always good.

Hôtel Maison du Fort is located in the heart of the Old City, and is a great place, but I think it’s got rather pricy.

There’s a pretty cool youth hostel in the old city as well.

I want to go to Quebec, just to stay here

I showed my wife he ice hotel, she said no. I didn’t think she’d go for it. We’re also a bit beyond the youth hostel stage. :slight_smile: