Hotels in NYC - need answer semi-fast

www.applecorehotels.com, a local ownership group with 5 properties in Manhattan (2 of them on 32 between 5th and 6th, 2 of them on 46th near 6th), will often have good offers and I’ve had good experiences with them, but with this tight timeframe it may be difficult getting the specified room requirements.

That terminus spot actually has some pretty cool stuff. Jade Asian is good for dim sum (huuuuge place, semi-English speaking staff, major nom noms for not much at all), Joe’s Shanghai for crab or pork soup dumplings (dumplings with soup inside), Hong Kong Supermarket for asian candy and good prices on pottery (and no those live frogs are not for pets…)… PLUS the free shuttle or q20 bus to Spa Castle, which is only man’s greatest invention.

My friend and his wife stayed there this past week. It’s modest but nice inside. I don’t know how much it costs though.

300-500/night for next weekend and room type selection seems to be short.

In the aforementioned applecorehotels site I see that double-bed nonsmoking rooms seem to have run out already – rates are running 200-300/night.

Hotel Carter. LOL

Often rated the WORST hotel in the world. Some day I’ll be brave enough to try it.

Oh man, I meant to stop by there when we were in NYC last year, just for grins. Completely forgot.

Thanks for all the suggestions!! I’ve looked at quite a few of them and as with a few days ago, so far they all are either a lot more expensive, or don’t have the right room size, or both. :(. Priceline sure makes things easier when you don’t have to worry about beds for 3+ people, sigh.

I think I’ll pass on Carter and Pennsylvania ;).

I found several sites that talk about which hotels have reported bedbug infestations; Hotel Pennsylvania has a lot of such reports - blech. None for the place we’re staying, fortunately. While I don’t love that I’m spending 350 a night (with taxes), all in all I think it’ll work out pretty well since breakfast is included and it’s near the bus pickup.

Hello Again, I did look at the Strayboots tours, thanks for the mention!! I checked and they will transfer it to the local one (DC metro) if we don’t use it while we’re in New York.

That sounds right. I never went into the hotel portion of it, but of course went right past where the taxis lined up.

My apartment was quite literally less than a block away (as in, I could see the back of that building from my apartment window). Gawd, I miss that commute :).