house is 600 meters from a dragway

This house my wife and I were looking at is 600 meters from the starting block of a race dragway. There are some trees in the way and a major divided highway separates the house from the dragway…but otherwise, it is pretty well open.

What does this mean for our life at this house should we buy it? I presume nothing in the winter.(?) and every weekend during the summer, a whole lot of revving, shrieking, engine noise, etc. ?

You should drive by or do an internet search of the drag strip to see what their hours are.

I’ve lived within a half mile of airport runways that had fighter jets with afterburner. They could take off anytime night or day. You mostly got use to it.

I would drive by the house while the dragway is being used to see if you can hear it. At night, during the day, during rush hour (when cars might drown it out), when there’s no traffic…see for yourself.

That depends a lot on where you live. Yes, you do get used to it. I work across the street from a major airport. Short of the Blue Angels zipping around I really don’t notice airplane noise anymore.

But at home is different. I used to live about 10 miles away from the airport and could hear airplanes all the time, now I live across the street from it (different side from where I work). Like I could just about throw a rock and hit airport property and I hardly ever hear any noise from it. The difference is, when I was 10 miles away I was under a flight path, now I’m not.
ETA, driving past the house a few times like that is also a good way to find out your future neighbors might suck. Who cares if the dragway is quiet if your neighbors have a dog that barks all night or it’s a house full of college kids that stay up late and play loud music in the backyard until 3am.

For a while, my grandparents lived about 8 miles or so from a dragway. http://www.route66raceway.com/?homepage=true
At that distance, the start of a drag race was loud and unavoidable. To live any closer, you’d better enjoy the sounds of drag racing. I mean, you’d better enjoy it so much that you’re disappointed when it’s not happening.
People get used to hearing, and sleeping through, all kinds of noise. But that close, you’d better love the sound.

Whatever you do, don’t decide to move there and then turn around and make a big stink about the noise. You know ahead of time what it’s going to be like, if you can’t handle that don’t move there.

We lost a venerable racetrack where I live about 15 years ago over that exact thing. I still think it was about the biggest dick move of all time.

You <i>could</i> build a tall brick wall on 3 sides of your lot, that would reflect away part of the sound.

But you’d better get that house darn cheap!

When I moved into my house I had to sign something acknowledging that there was a nearby airport that saying that I understood that there would be noise coming from it. They’ve [the airport] already spent a lot of money soundproofing the houses in surrounding areas to help deal with the noise.

Better still is a solid earth bank. You need a good deal of room for that though. Two walls with an earth filling would work too.

Dragstrip noise is very different from airport noise. It can be 65 decibels a whole mile away. And it’s not the smooth approach and passing of an airplane, it’s purposeful revving and screeching and sirens when something goes wrong.

I would also be pretty concerned about air quality - you are talking about rubber, oil and fuel burning with absolutely no filters. I would think that he particulate matter would also be a danger.

Skip past the first few paragraphs here, and you’ll get an idea how the neighbors feel about it:

http://www.competitionplus.com/drag-racing/editorials/19655-a-drag-strips-worst-enemy-the-masters-of-the-obvious

We’re a mile or so from railroad tracks. We hear the train horn often.

A typical drag race is 1/4 mile, or 1,320 feet. The strip itself is probably close to 1/2 mile in length. 600 meters is 1,800 feet, so it would be like standing closer than the far end of the strip to the cars.

If you’ve never personally witnessed a drag race, it’s loud. B-52 bombing you loud. No mufflers, WFO loud.

No way I’d live within 5 miles of a racetrack, and I love racetracks.

I bet 600 meters puts you out of the death-by-flying-debris zone.

Still, I’d cross that house off my list pronto.

I lived 3 miles from an oval track racetrack, on motorcycle nights it sounded like they were in my backyard. The jallopies and stock cars I really couldn’t hear.

I lived across the street from a railroad hump yard … it was dirt cheap. Now I live next to a main line in a mobile home that’s … not … quite … strapped down correctly. Frankly, I love it here, rock and roll at 2 am. Best is when they have to gather up and stop, the sound when they start off again is really cool … although VERY loud.

How’s the price compared to places not near the strip? What’s the place’s potential resale value? Is the local ACLU well funded? Are the public schools good?

When the railroad company shut down the hump yard, my money doubled.

I grew up about two miles from the drag strip where the Winternationals are held, and it was thunderous loud even at that distance. 600 meters will sound like they are racing through your living room.

Dragway? This is only the second time I have heard this word, the first being only about a month ago. Is this a regional term for what I know as a drag strip? How did I avoid seeing it for almost sixty years?

We live about three miles from a small oval track used in the lower NASCAR tiers. Every once in a while, when the wind is calm or from that direction, we can hear the races. But this is otherwise a VERY quiet corner of the US.

A drag raceway is more like when I lived 10 miles from Aerojet, around 1970. They would test some of the larger rocket engines and it filled the sky… sounded like a big racing engine being held at moderate revs down the street. From 10-12 miles away.

I’d pass on the house unless you’re a mad drag-racing aficionado.

I lived 4 miles driving and about 1.5 miles as the noise flies from a racetrack. I must have been in the right direction because it wasn’t too noisy except on very still summer nights. Still though, after driving by it so many times, there’s no way in hell I’d live closer than 1 mile to any track.

This drives me crazy. There are a couple of instances in my city of people doing this - there is an existing (loud) event going on at some place, they move in, and all of a sudden the loud event has to go away.

That’s a great idea to try to stop people from doing what I was just talking about.

As for the OP, as others have said, that’s going to be LOUD.

I took my son to the drag races because a guy at work was involved with one of the teams. On sitting in the grandstand near the finish line, I was surprised by the number of people with industrial earmuffs. After the first pass I was no longer surprised. We spent the whole day covering our ears during each race. I used to mix live sound but that was the loudest thing I have ever heard in my life.

However the first home I owned was across the road from a railway line. It wasn’t used much for passenger transport but coal trains would go down the mountain at night. With their brakes shrieking for the curve ahead. We didn’t think to check out the noise when a train went by and by coincidence none ever did while we were looking at the house over a few weeks.

The first night we were there a 3AM coal train woke me. And every night after. The passenger trains during the evening drowned out the TV. After a couple of weeks I was bemoaning my misfortune in buying the place, certain I couldn’t live there. Within weeks I had adjusted to it all, slept through the freights and gave the trains no thought.

buy the joining lots an three sides and make an earth berm. in winter run a toboggan ans sled hill, it will pay for itself after a while. also rent garden plots in summer.

At one point I lived under the flightline for NAS Oceana … nothing like ongoing touch-and-goes. So then we moved - to under the flightline for NOB Norfolk … :smack:

I can sleep through anything. I once slept through a c-5 galaxy while visiting an air force buddy and they had just moved there and were amazed it didn’t wake me up.