This is loosely based on the arcade games, right? By “loosely” I mean that they had to buy the name and remove any resemblences of the original product (such as, apparently, a house).
Just from the commercial, let’s count the suck:
- Slo-mo panaramic shots. Back when Wing Commander did this, it was novel and cheesy. Now it’s just cheesy.
- Slo-mo panaramic shots with a guy firing a submachine gun one-handed, with no recoil.
- Slo-mo panaramic shots with someone jumping five feet straight up with a shotgun.
- Teen Party taking place on what seems to be a Montana militant faction’s gun range.
- Zombie sticking his tongue in someone’s ear.
- Rap-thumpin’ zombie soundtrack (that’s subjective, I know. You’re free to listen to whatever rocks your boat. But I’m less likely to want to see something if it blasts that at me in the ad)
- Talking zombies?! Zombies go “urgh” most of the time, “buh-rains” if they’re particularly chatty. Living dead making cheesy threats are laughable.
Why buy the rights to a franchise if you’re not going to do anything that remotely resembles it?