How aberrant would it be to make combo tuna-egg salad?

FYI, if you have a Japanese/Asian grocery store nearby, the wasabi mayo will be in the condiment aisle and come in a rubbery green bottle. I forget if the green is the bottle itself, or if it’s from the wasabi mayo itself, but it’s fairly hard to miss. Also, yummy.

I’d be more comfortable using chicken instead of tuna, but I was never a big fan of tuna salad anyway.

My tuna salad generally has tuna, eggs, diced onions and that’s it. My wife’s family apparently puts relish in tuna salad, which seems odd to me, though I’ve had such tuna salad when I wasn’t paying. They also put relish in deviled eggs. Other people’s families are weird.

I’ve hated sweet pickle relish my whole life, but what are you gonna do? Some people just can’t cram enough sugar into their food.

How about a tuna nicoise in a thin chiabatta loaf? Then you get to have olives, anchovies, potato, red onion, balsamic vinager and/or vinaigrette with your tuna and egg. It’ll keep you going till supper.

Are sweet pickles a Southern regional thing?
It’s just a hint, not like the stuff they slather onto hot dogs.

I don’t know if there are differences. I’m only familiar with the sugary stuff they slather on hot dogs.

I’ve had friends make me regular canned sweet dill pickles but I can’t handle those either. I’ve got it in my head how a dill pickle should taste and adding sugar to it ruins it for me.

I have seen “sweet hot dog relish”, and even seen packets of it come with tuna fish, but I’m talking sweet gerhkins …which do seem to have six cups of vinegar and eight cups of sugar…but I digress and, indeed, argue against myself. They are in brine like other pickles, not a syrup like the relish I’ve seen. It is one of many tastes to disquise the tuna fish. I saw a Jewish lady making tuna fish for my wedding reception with tuna, mayo and her hands. It is an easy Kosher dish. Dad put apples pecans and sweet pickles in it to disquise the taste, something he learned during the Great Depression when Garndmother slept on the back porch with four children and a butcher knife while her husnband was far away working in the WPA.
Anyway I sweet relish on hot dogs when I was nine, but realized I would contract diabetes if I continued eating it past ten. :slight_smile:

“Sweet dill pickles”? Dill is not normally an ingredient in making sweet pickles.

It also apparently effected my ability to spell.

I’m sure you’re certainly right, and I stand corrected. I just grab what looks to me like a pickle and then spit it out. “That’s not a pickle! Bleh!” It’s just not a proper dill pickle.

[Roseanne]Tuna salad, egg salad, ham salad, chicken salad - it’s all just different words for mayonnaise![/Roseanne]

I make all my salads the same way (foodies may want to cover their eyes): Chicken/ham/turkey (I don’t use tuna, because it’s fish, and therefore gross), hard boiled eggs chopped fine, sweet pickles chopped fine, a little of the pickle juice, salt, pepper, crushed saltines, paprika, fine-ground mustard powder, and Miracle Whip. I’ll make a huge bowl of it and the locusts I live with will have it devoured in a day.

I’ve never heard of making any kind of sandwich salad type thingy without hard-boiled eggs. Like lee’s mom says, it makes it go further.

Eggs can go in tuna salad, but not too many of them. Eggs cannot go in Chicken salad, though. That is just wrong.

Dried fruit and nuts go in chicken salad…and cardamom.

What’s the ratio of hard-boiled eggs to tuna? It sounds like it might be interesting to try.

Depends on your goal.
Using up leftovers, killing the fish taste, making up filler to make an extra sandwich.
On the average, perhaps an egg per can of tuna.

Gotta love the Google ads.
“10 Reasons To Avoid Tuna.
Heart disease, brain rot. Think tuna’s good for you? Think again.
www-website-dot-com”

Paired with:
“Troll-Caught Albacore.
Gourmet Canned Tuna High in Omega-3 Oils.
www-website-dot-com”

:smiley: :smiley:

Thanks, Biblio. I sent the link to Mrs. Plant because of her wonderful sense of humor.
Oh crap, I bet we have tuna tonight… :mad: