How about a good list of monkey movies?

Did nobody get my “orangutans being called monkeys”? That’s just sad.

Additional movies: *MVP: Most Valuable Primate * and its sequels, MVP2: Most Vertical Primate and MXP: Most Xtreme Primate. True classics in the “Apes Playing Sports” genre.

As David Letterman would say, “Flyin’ monkeys is funny!”

Speaking of Letterman, he was selling sock monkeys in the movie “Cabin Boy” IIRC. Do sock monkeys count?

I’m glad the OP said a good list of monkey movies, instead of a list of good monkey movies (since most of these films, Oz and Kong obviously excepted, suck).

From the IMDB keyword search: gorilla (120 results), ape (65), monkey (190), orangutan (15) and chimpanzee (74).

There’s an orangutan in the Marx Brothers’ At The Circus, and several Three Stooges shorts have gorillas, although they were portrayed by actors in gorilla costumes.

Hail To The Chimp “Heh heh. That’s what you get for not hailing to the chimp.”

Monkeybone, which got savaged by the critics and bombed at the box office, but I liked the weird goofiness of it, and Henry Selick’s bizarre animation.

Sign of the Cross from 1932 has an implied public girl/gorilla bondage sex scene (no, I am not kidding). How’s that for a classic?

And if you include guys in gorilla suits, you have to include two classics, “Robot Monster” and “Trading Places.”

Not to mention Marlene Dietrich dressed as a gorilla in Blonde Venus.

Oh, and Gladiator Eroticus had a gorilla, who was clearly a guy in a monkey suit, fighting, along with a guy in a lion suit, against a naked Amazon gladiator.

Oh, I’ve seen some baaaaaaaaaaaad movies …

Bonzo Goes to College

Pretty much all the **Tarzan ** movies

Congo

Murders in the Rue Morgue

Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla (1952)

The Ape-Man

Return of the Ape-Man

Can we count Robot Monster?

Human Nature, written by Charlie Kaufman (so you know it’s zany and kind of postmodern). Strictly speaking, the chimp is Rhys Ifans, playing a “Kaspar Hauser”-type case, only raised by chimps, or apes, or hockey defensemen, or something. And at one point Patricia Arquette stops shaving and goes nekkid, which is a really bad idea. I guess between the two of them you get the equivalent of one really good ape.

Also, Gorilla At Large (1954), featuring a young Lee J. Cobb and an even younger Lee Marvin. Despite having these tough guys plus the aforementioned gorilla (at large, no less!) it managed to be pretty lame, even though it was made in 3-D, so if you have the glasses, it’s kinda cool. On second thought, I was wearing the glasses when I saw it on TV when I was in, oh, junior high school? And even then I thought it was lame.

Also Where’s Poppa?

(Sorry I missed your Robot Monster before posting mine)

I must admit I’m a little surprised … the bubble machines generally give them away.

In The Cameraman, Buster Keaton acquires an organ-grinder’s monkey about halfway through the movie. That monkey sticks with Buster through thick and thin for the rest of the film, and it’s fantastic. Does pretty much everything he does, and helps him get the girl in the end.

Any Which Way You Can

Later ripped off/homaged in Batman And Robin, with Uma Thurman in the gorilla suit.

Oook.

To elaborate: The librarian usually only objects when someone actually speaking aloud makes the mistake of calling an orangutan a monkey. Something that is written down – especially something as ephemeral as a message on a message board – doesn’t really get his attention. For which we should all thank our lucky stars. :slight_smile:

The Barefoot Executive

Lost in Space had a kind of robot monkey in it.

American Pie had a monkey in it.

I think there must be film executives who think any movie can be punched up with the insertion of a monkey. Even otherwise sane movies like The Women insert monkeys into the proceedings for no discernable reason.

It think if a space alien were to judge our culture solely by the movies we make, they would conclude that about one in every ten houses has a monkey in it.

Ace Ventura 2: When Nature Calls

His name was Spike.