How America might have avoided - part of - the current wave of Anti-Americanism?

WE can avoid a LOT of bad press by realizing that a LOT of people DON’T WANT to be helped by us! We go into an arab country, and immediately offend everybody-take Somalia-we started off OK, but made fools of ourselves, by insisting on “removing” certain “warlords” (like Adid). Without any common sense, we got involved in a civil war, and wound up losing 18 lives, plus killing hundreds of Somalis-any wonder we were hated? We are like a clumsy (though well-meaning) bull in a China shop-we wind up breaking everything, and wonder why the shop owner hates us!
First: DO NOT intervene in other people’s wars
Second: if we must intervene, don’t offend the locals by staying a long time
Third:stick to handing out food and bandages
Fourth: don’t insert ourselves into local politics

Actually he grew up in the United States - only a few miles from where I live as a matter of fact - and his family moved to Australia when he was twelve.

If a guy steals my car I’m going to swear at him not thank him because he didn’t murder me.

Our occupation of Iraq won’t judged by whether or not we did worse than Saddam’s standards, it’ll be judged by whether or not we did worse than our own standards. And by our standards, our occupation has done terrible things.

Yes, because being raped or chewed on by dogs or crippled or driven insane by torture is so much more civilized than beheading. And punishing a few cannon fodder who were obviously just doing what they were told doesn’t absolve us, or stop what is no doubt happening elsewhere.

And we’ve killed tens, probably hundreds ( by now ) of thousands at the least, and inflicted misery upon millions, and ruined Iraq as a nation.

I have nothing to add to the thread, just wanted to say this is one of the quotes I really liked.

Are you calling me and several other Dopers anti-American? Is it more American to speak out against torture or to condone it?

Well, we are certainly a smidgen better, at least. Happy now? As Askance so rightly put it, if we are arguing the nuances of who is worse we’ve already lost.

As for the OP, the answer seems obvious - for the Bush Administration not to torture people, not to start wars based on lies, not to kidnap people off the streets of foreign cities, not to have CIA officers under indictment in Italy. I contend that there is no anti-Americanism, only anti-Bushism.

And we have a winner.

I doubt that; when America re-elected Bush, it voted to share the blame.

Ignorance is bliss, but it needs to be busted. Abu Grahib and Gitmo are only the “nice” looking tip of a huge and deadly monster.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/middle_east/article347806.ece

The enemy related to the “first two” are only a minority, I can not miss that the administration openly talked about an “El Salvador option” in Iraq. That is why I think it is naive to ignore that most of the death squads activity is known by the USA, but not much is happening against it. I can see now how the future victory in Iraq is shaping: all that dare to stand against the occupation and ethnic cleansing will be dead or in exile, but that will be called a victory just because eventually some sort of “peace” can come after many guilty and innocent are disposed off. I will never will be at ease with such a “victory”. And yes, I despise Bush when I can see now what has ended up as his standard for the “victory” in Iraq.