How are these handgun hoslters meant to be used?

Urk? That must save on ammo cost. :wink:

Strictly speaking, there is no “locked and cocked” on a Glock, lacking, as they do, a manual safety. (Yes, a few prototypes did have an external sear lock but that was never offered on a production arm.) A Glock is essentially in Condition 0 when a round is chambered. Not a problem as long as you follow Rule 2 (“Never let the muzzle cover anything you are unwilling to destroy,”) and Rule 3 (“Finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target,”) but the untrained or inattentive will commit grevious errors.

Again, the Sig P220 has no external safety (not counting the new P220R SAO), so can’t be carried in Condition 1. Being a double action pistol, it is normally carried in Condition 2, and after firing the decocker should be used to lower the hammer (while the muzzle is pointed in a safe direction). The USP can be locked and cocked in Variants 1, 2, 9, and 10, but not the other configurations. Both are top notch firearms in any chambering (9mmP, .40 S&W, .45 ACP, as well as aftermarket barrels for .357 Sig, .400 CorBon).

Stranger

Thanks Strainger, I was just going to make those exact three points.

Oh, and not that I’m defending the crappy holster, but there are 1911 style DA pistols.

I was stretching the term condition one to mean that one could grab the pistol, squeeze the trigger, and bang: that is, condition one, to me, means that the pistols is in a condition where it can be immediately fired.

The DAO and DA/SA autopistols have an advantage in this: the pistol can ber loaded and ready to go, with the hammer down. In terms of mechanical comfort as regards safety, at least for combat/self defense/police deadly force issues, the DAO seems to be the way to go now.

Thou shall not speak of the evil that is a double action JMB design. The Browning Hi-Power is, was, and always shall be single action. And the Double Eagle is just all flavors of wrong.

Stranger