How bad has the New Year's resolutioners crowd been at your gym?

That is very true. In times past, I’ve said that if people are intimidated by the idea of staring a workout regimen, they can at least try walking to the store. Also, before I started doing heavy cardio, I started with long walking, and that helped me build up the confidence that I needed for more strenuous cardio work. I also know that brisk walking (emphasis on “brisk”) did a lot of good for me when I was just starting out.

That’s the thing about walking or using an elliptical trainer. It keeps you moving continuously, even if it’s at a slow pace. The same is true of the step aerobic classes, where you’re pretty much forced to keep moving.

I do think it’s possible to work out at such a low level that it’s ultimately more harmful for you. As one of my co-workers opined, it’s possible to convince yourself that you’ve accomplished something when you’ve actually done next to nothing. I know because that’s how I was in my younger days. This, IMO, can do more harm than good. I do think there are some folks like that at the gym (usually the ones who mostly stand around or chat up a storm during cardio classes), but I think they’re a pretty small minority.

I forgot to mention that since January 1st, the personal trainers are all over the place now. And there’s something about Lifetime’s training that must insist that they all do half of the training on the frickin’ bosu ball. It really bothers me to see people paying so much money to not only look stupid but to make themselves more prone to injury with no better return than doing X exercise on flat ground.

I have not noticed a bump at my gym. Of course, I usually work out a 4:30 am on weekdays, and that’s not a particularly crowded time. :slight_smile:

It didn’t seem that crowded yesterday either. I kind of wish more people would join, maybe then the gym could expand.

Not being “that guy” is important. Unsolicited advice is seldom, if ever, appreciated and is often interpreted as intimidation. The most I do is keep half an eye on new people near me when they are doing something where they might actually kill themselves. I’m thinking primarily of things like bench pressing without a spotter. Then, if I see one about to get the life crushed out of him, I’ll help him get the bar back up on the rack. If I say anything at all, it’s just “yell if you want a spot.”

My Bikram yoga studio has been jammed - weekend mornings have been 30% bigger than normal.

I hope some stick with it, but suspect the crowds will be more manageable by March…

Scumpup, you’re being needlessly confrontational here. I said that I think they’re wasting their time, and that’s it. Are people not allowed to voice their opinions on this matter?

I already explained why I brought the subject up, so I recommend that you lay off.

FTR, I said nothing about newbies. In fact, in previous discussions, I drew a sharp distinction between resolutioners and mere newbies (cite). I am most certainly NOT complaining about the fact that they are merely new. Nor is it a question of not doing things “the way that would suit [me] best.” Rather, I simply think that they’re wasting their time, and I chose to briefly voice that opinion – not an unreasonable thing to do, IMO. I didn’t realize that this was against the Scumpup rules.

faint, barely heard gurgling sound

“That’s not a yell.” :smiley:

Good point. Maybe I’ll change that to “turn purple and wildly kick your feet if you want a spot.”

Ha. I remember that. I started a basic thread about the Resolutionary Army, but you went to The Pit with the subject (and kudos to you for giving me credit for dubbing them The Resolutionary Army).

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=546475&highlight=resolutionary+army

A most memorable pair of discussions, Philster, and they earned you my respect. :slight_smile:

JThunder, can you please explain this? I don’t understand how they are actually doing themselves harm? Do you mean because they are risking catching athletes foot from the locker room while not actually getting any benefit from working out?

Thanks,
Rob (someone who needs to get back in the gym and will probably be classified as part of the Resolutionary Army when I do)

Not a single extra person has appeared at my Gym.
But then again I’ve hardly been since Christmas.

It was actually in IMHO since it was pretty mild, but I forgot it was you who dubbed it. Definitely a fantastic name. I’m glad I don’t have to deal with them much this year.

…Although it has been colder here than usual (high teens, usually closer to 30) so I should probably hold my breath; if it warms slightly they could always re-appear. I’ve got my fingers and everything else crossed.

To all of you dealing with it in the weight room and any Group Power/Body Pump type classes, please be careful! Be aware of your surroundings - like I mentioned in last year’s thread, I was almost smacked in the head twice. If your friend you came with says your name, answer “yes”, don’t swing around and walk towards them with the bar on your shoulders for squats. :smack:

WordMan, how the hell are people faring in Bikram? Is there lots of gross panting going on? That’s a bitch of a class for a newbie.

Ugh, it’s so bad every year that I put off going to the gym in January and every January I gain a few pounds (holiday eating probably also contributes to that). Seriously, I get off work at 5:30, but unless I wait until about 7:30 to go to the gym, the machines will all be full, and by 7:30 I’m kinda tired. I’ve been going to this gym–well, it’s the Y–for 11 years now, and every January, same thing. I do still go, but only about twice a week in January as opposed to the 4-5 times a week I go other months. Fortunately, by February most of the resolutioners have given up and things are back to normal.

I was just commenting about this today to my workout partner last week there was a small increase ~10% from before Christmas today, at lunch, it was pretty close to the normal crowd. One thing I’ve found funny is that in the two years I’ve been going to this gym I’ve never seen anyone on the hand bike in the last week, since I’ve started using it for cardio, I’ve been fighting people for it every day. I had one guy jump on before I could wipe my sweat off of it and I’m a sweaty bastard.

My only problem with the resolutionary army is that I have a limited time to workout, that why I got twice a day, and so if all of a certain type of machine is being used I have to modify my workout or get less of one in. Up to that point I couldn’t care less.

It’s like taking snake oil for medicine. You think you’re doing yourself some good, but you’re not – and in a way, that can be more harmful. It can lull people into a false sense of security. It means that instead of making the necessary changes, people wind up wasting time on things that produce next to zero results.

Again, I speak from personal experience. That’s one reason why my co-workers words rang true in my ears. For a long time, I wasted my time on piddling efforts. They might have produced some results, but if they did, they were relatively inconsequential.

Doing something very tiny might be better than doing nothing whatsoever – but not if it prevents you from hearing the wake-up call that you so badly need.

I remembered that, lindsay, and those words were memorable for me as well. That’s because of all the frustrations I’ve had with cardio boot camp classes. I continually had to dodge people who weren’t moving at all – or worse, were concentrating so poorly that they repeatedly wound up moving in the wrong direction! (To be fair, a lot of folks make that mistake on occasion. However, they typically manage to correct themselves within a second or so. The inattentive, low-effort folks just keep going.)

This. It can also lull people into the mindset of, “Well, I just walked half a mile. I can go treat myself to that triple cheeseburger now.”

Ooh, good point, joebuck20. I hadn’t thought of it that way, and you’re absolutely right.

Again, this is not purely hypothetical. On numerous occasions, I’ve heard people say, “Oh, I can afford to eat this. I worked out yesterday.” or words to that effect. These folks probably don’t realize just how hard it is to burn off the calories from a single unhealthy meal. The average person would have to run about three miles just to burn off a single donut, for example – or seven miles for a single Big Mac with cheese.

My Y does seem to be a bit more crowded at the moment, esp. on Saturday (which is why I usually try to not go on Saturdays).

When I arrived there at 6:30 this morning (was running a little late, I usually shoot for getting there at 6), most of the treadmills were occupied, which is the busiest I’ve seen it at that hour, since I joined 4 months ago.