How bad is Depo Provera, really?

For what it’s worth Misnomer, I haven’t had any problems with pills (and doesn’t Yasmine have low levels of various things?). I think my body just blew a fuse at having a huge amount of hormones thrown in my body at once with the shot.

And that wasn’t redundant :::Jedi hand wave thing::::

Same here. I’ve been on it for about seven years. The only side effect I get is that sometimes I’m a bit headachey on the day of the shot itself. It’s only for that day though. So chalk up another vote for scary bad PMS sufferer who loves her shot!

jsgoddess - I had the same sort of problems with vomiting, etc. My doc used to perscribe me vicodin - 100 at a time with three refills. It was just impossible to get anything done in school because every couple weeks I was just sick as a dog. If my doctor ever refused to give it to me I’d go to Planned Parenthood. (In fact I’m thinking of going there anyway since they’re chearper than my doc.)

mraldjenn - any sort of birth control changes the way your body was “meant” to behave. Most of us were not “meant” to have a period every 28 days. (Keep in mind that women who are breastfeeding often don’t have periods either, even though they aren’t taking pills.) The 28 day schedule was set up because it was the average, not because it was natural. So for me, if I’m going to do something unnatural, I’m happy to just skip it altogether. But there’s no one right answer of course. Each of us has to determine what’s natural for ourselves - and we’re lucky that we have options.

If nothing else, I had a friend who got pregnant on Depo. I know no hormonal birth control is 100%, but Depo is about as close as you can get. Fortunately they did want kids, just not quite yet, but little Alexandra was welcomed with open arms.

I’ve had no real problems (except fairly dramatically increased cramps, weirdly) on low-dose birth control pills. I’ve always been hesitant to try Depo in case I had three months of hormone hell, even though I’ve been mostly okay with pills. Since I have been, though, I’m sticking with them!

When the time comes, I’ll probably start with Yasmine (or something like it) and see how I tolerate the hormones. I’m sure I’ll be fine, I just hate having to chance the side effects in order to find out, ya know? If I could find a doctor willing to sterilize a childless 33-year-old, I’d skip pills/shots altogether! :wink:

Just as an FYI, I was nervous about depo too. Instead, my doc gave me the same dose, but in a daily pill form. When I reacted well to the pill, she told me I could get the shot. This might be an option for you, because the pill comes out of your system very fast compared to the three months of depo. I think it is called Micronor.

I’m on depo now and I love it. I hope I never have to give it up.

I am going to be vague here…
If one gets Depo because of horrible cramps and heavy bleeding, there is a new procedure that involves something about inflating some kind of balloon like thingie inside your uterus that cuts down or stops your periods entirely. The balloon gizmo thing does not stay in.

Two of my friends have had this done.

I have no idea what it is called. But both were done with kids. Don’t know if it makes one sterile or not.

Sorry for being so gray.

I was curious, so I googled it. It’s called balloon thermo-ablation. From that link, it looks like it does affect the ability to be pregnant, but it’s not considered sterilizing.

Very interesting. Thanks for the heads up, Shirley .

My wife was on Depo for a while. She loved it–no periods, no worries (even though she’s never really had terrible periods). But the side effects, though quite mild, eventually made her quit: First, she gained 5 pounds every year she was on Depo. Second, it completely eliminated her sex drive, so, really, the shot’s birth control benefits were rendered moot.

Huh, I hadn’t thought of that. But I sorta like having periods – not that I enjoy them, especially this last one since I switched pills and got the worst cramps I’ve had in years – since I want to KNOW I’m not pregnant.

What I really want is to get fixed, but I need insurance for that.

I was on Depo for about three years. It did eliminate my periods and any PMS symptoms I might have had, but I gained about 20 pounds before I went on it, then when I went on it, even when I made a concerted effort to lose weight (carefully measuring calories, working out at least 4 times a week - hell, I even ran two marathons), I could never lose more than four pounds, and it wouldn’t stay off. I asked my doctor about it, and he said I could thank the Depo.

I also had emotional problems on the stuff. In other words, I couldn’t really feel anything but mad. If something really good happened, I knew I should be excited, but just couldn’t muster up any interest. Of course, if something bad happened, I had no trouble getting pissed off. As soon as I quit Depo, my emotions went back to normal. Most of my friends and family noticed a marked positive difference in my personality.

In addition, my sex drive plumeted almost from the moment I went on Depo. I just wasn’t interested and had trouble orgasming when I was interested.

I originally went on Depo because I have a seizure disorder that seemed to cluster around my periods. Apparently the hormonal change set them off. The Depo seemed to eliminate that problem, or my trigger changed since I no longer have seizures at all, even though I’m not on any hormonal supplements.

I began birth control pills last year and was delighted to have my first period in three years. Now I’m not on anything because I’m trying to get pregnant, and the weight has been coming off steadily, I’m lots happier and I’m actually interested in sex again.

Just another data point.

I was on Depo for about ten years. I stopped at 35, not because I was a smoker, but I had recently quit smoking. While on Depo + smoking, I gained about 2-3 pounds a year and didn’t have any problem with that. When I quit smoking, I put on about 15 extra pounds and am now 30 above my formerly “normal” weight. I had a huge problem with that. No matter how I ate and how much I worked out, I could not lose any weight. So I quit the Depo. My goal is to drop the 30 pounds and go back on it.

I had very few side effects while on. In the last 3-4 years, I’d get headachy on the day of the shot and feel sore and sort of crappy the next day. I quit letting them give the shot in the arm because the soreness was worse.

I’m extremely disappointed: I was told it could be up to a year before I’d start having periods again. Three weeks after the last shot wore off: whammo! I found myself in the tampon aisle trying to remember what brand I liked and why. And now I’m surprised to discover (remember) that I’m on a 23-day cycle.

As soon as my size 8 clothes fit again, I’m going back on. I may go on a mini-pill or something in the meantime.

I’ve over 40 and I’ve been on Depo-Provera for about a year now. The only side-effect I’ve noticed is the lack of periods and I, too, consider that a good thing. In my case, though, I didn’t have any problems with my period or PMS. While I wasn’t exactly thrilled to have them, especially the one which started the day before I was to fly back to the States from England (I thought I’d timed it better!), they seemed normal enough in terms of duration and content. I did have one symptom of PMS which the gentleman in my life may be sorry to see go – PMS used to make me horny! :o

CJ

Depo did not work for me. I bled every day for four solid months.
No periods, forsooth!! I was praying for the day it would wear off and I’d be able to have a normal period once more, then back to the good old condoms for us.
I hated it.

Have you considered a birth control implant? I’m currently on implanon, I’ve had it for 3 years and just under a fortnight ago had my second one put in, so I’m good for another 3 years. It lasts longer than Depo, and the documentation I’ve read seems to present it as having less “possible” side effects than the injection, as well as being a little more reliable. Hubby thinks it’s a godsend, we’ve been together nearly 2 years now and haven’t used condoms in most of that time.

Has anyone else used the implant method? I know very few women who’ve had one, so it’ll be interested to see what anyone else thinks.

I had a Norplant implant for 5 years, although I had it taken out years ago. I’d actually recommend it over Depo-Provera, simply because it’s a one-shot deal. The side effects, to the best of my memory, were similar to Depo.

I’d use it again.

CJ

Just sharin’ the good news. My friends speak only very highly of the procedure. Neither has had a period since it was done, so that in itself is a vunderful thing.

According to the Planned Parenthood website, updated 3 months ago, Norplant is “no longer available, but women who are using Norplant may continue to do so.”

Depo Provera remains an excellent option for many women. The association with osteoporosis means that women at high risk for osteoporosis should consider other options or take steps such as taking calcium and vitamin D and increasing weight bearing exercise.

Menopause can be detected by a blood test, such as looking at the amount of follicle stimulating hormone and lutenizing hormone. This is sometimes needed in women who have been on birth control without periods for an extended period of time.

Dr_Pap, MD

Heh, Dr_Pap in a thread about female-type stuff. :smiley:

Misnomer, I think you should keep on looking for a doctor to do your sterilization. At 33, I don’t think there should be a problem with getting tied. Maybe you could contact Planned Parenthood or some org like that and see if they could recommend a doctor who believes in a woman’s right to choose for her own self.