How Big Can I Make This Photo?

I hope this link works:
http://www.ofoto.com/PhotoView.jsp?&collid=21978947406&photoid=11129947406

It’s a great picture of my daughter, and I want to order a very large (I’d go with 20x30, larger if I could) copy of it…as big as I can get without losing a lot of detail or having it get all grainy or icky.

I don’t have enough experience with digital pictures to know how much I can get away with here; I’m hoping someone with more knowledge can offer an opinion. I know it’s not incredibly sharp to begin with (part of its charm for me, I think)…but I don’t want a big field of green with a fuzzy thing off to one side, either.

Thanks!
karol

The popuplink on the page should give you some guidance:

The caption says the resolution is 1280 x 960 pixels.
If you enlarge it to 20 X 30", each pixel will be 0.5 X 0.5 millimeters on a side.
That’s getting pretty course, but is still smaller than the ~2mm dots Seurat used for A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande Jatte

Duckster, those specs may be pushing it a bit.

That works out to 53-60DPI, assuming the 1200 pixels are on the 20" side. OK for a poster, if you don’t look too closely.

Compare that to a quality magazine, which will have, as an absolute minimum, 300DPI and probably a greater color depth (bits per color) as well.

The more pixels, the better. If you can plan in advance, use the highest settings on your camera (and the lowest compression, or none) if you can.

They’re not my specs. They are the recommended specs from the web site where the photo is posted.

I tend to agree. I normally shoot at 1600x1200. I’ve found, depending on the image, 8x10 looks good. 11x14, maybe, but you begin to notice it’s not film. 20x30, I dunno. I suspect that image would be looking pretty muddy.

On preview…then you need to find out your specs…what’s your camera set at? Do you have a program you can open it in that will give you image size?

Oh…I thought that was the OP posting…sorry, confused…

Hmmm…I did finally spot the pop-up info after I posted my question, of course.

Maybe I’ll try 8x10 and a good-sized mat. I could do an artistic (ha!) rendering of it, too, I suppose…

Thanks for the info. My camera does have different settings, so I’ll experiment a bit as well.