How big is too big for a family?

It depends on the child. Some children are more private and need their own space. More gregarious children have no problem sharing. I also never had a space of my own(still don’t actually) although I don’t think it really hurt me, I think having that little bit of “me” space would have been good. Sharing is important, but some personal space which is inviolate is good as well. Still, it depends on the child. The only issue with hand-me-downs tends to be peer approval and most well-adjusted children can handle it. Still, the “something of my own” issue pops up here as well. I don’t know if I’d call it a hardship as much as a potential issue depending on the child.

Bongmaster: Here is a cite about population growth rates. The US is very low on this scale. Birth rates are barely above replacement(2.07 children/woman) and that overall growth number includes immigration. US citizens, in general, are NOT reproducing exponentially. They are increasing much, MUCH, slower than that. Quite possibly below the replacement rate if immigration is factored out. The US, in fact most of the first-world countries, is not the problem. China has instituted some pretty severe population control measures and current projections are that the world population will level out before exceeding carrying capacity.

Enjoy,
Steven

My $.02.

I grew up in a family with mom, dad and two kids (older boy and younger girl, four and a half years apart). Strangely, my SO grew up in the same configuration, only the childrens’ sexes were switched. We’re both the youngest. To me, this is perfect… as long as there are lots of animals around.

However, in my father’s family, there are three boys and three girls (well, one was a twin but was born with spina bifida and didn’t survive long). I LOVE my father’s family gatherings. Everyone loves everyone and there’s lots of food and beer. Who wouldn’t want that?

So, I’m torn on the situation.

As for me, I don’t want any kids. You can have my share.

Just wanted to confirm what someone said about kids who never had to share a room having trouble in college.

I’m an only child and I had 4 roommates in 3 semesters before I finally got my private room. Yes, some of my roomies were psychopaths (#1 and #3), but I was pretty clueless as to how to live with someone else. I made a lot of mistakes purely out of ignorance.

If I ever bump into Roomie #2 I’m gonna thank her for not killing me.

I agree that a family is too big when you can’t afford to provide for them. I know I want 2 kids for sure, but 3 would be nice, if I had the money.

This is just ridiculous. I’m surprised nobody else has linked to it.

Yeah, Gest, that’s totally nuts.

18 kids? I’d be suicidal.

Hey, my great-grandfather managed 16, between two wives. The eldest child was born in 1900, the youngest in 1947. In fact, to give you an even better idea of the age gaps involved here, his first grandchild was born in 1932 and his last wasn’t born until 1980 (!!!). I’m a great-grandchild but there are some little great-great-grandchildren running around.

It really does depend on your aspirin supply…