How bookish is your house?

Do you have at least 1 book in every room inside your house? Not magazines or newspapers, but books.

How about 10?

How about 20?

How about 50?

I’ll plead guilty to the first three.

Every room?

Nope. The bathrooms usually only have 3 or so books in them. Every other room is over 50, if we count the dining room as an extension of the kitchen, and discount the utility room.

Nope, I keep my books in my bedroom and the cookbooks in the kitchen. Maybe one book in the bathroom and one in the living room if I left it there but normally it is whereever I am. One in my truck, just in case, but I like to keep them together so they don’t get lost.

Aside from the bathroom (which gets overstuffed with magazines, and no more than one or two books*), we’ve got at least 20 books in every other room, and frequently more than 50. No exception or exagerration. The kitchen is the only room to keep that minimum so low, since we only have one shelf of cookbooks. But the Den, Living Room, Master Bedroom, MilliCal’s Room, the front Room and the BackRoom downstairs each have bookcases that are full. There are boxes of books in nthe basement laundry room and the attic and the garage.

I don’t have books in the bathroom and only cookbooks in the kitchen, but every other room easily has 50-100 books in it. That is probably a low estimate really. Of course, I really only have 3 other rooms besides the kitchen and bathroom since I am in an apartment and all.

My SO and I have over 100. That’s after thinning the heard with our garage sale and donations to Goodwill.
ETA: There’s a bookshelf in our bedroom filled with mostly reference books. We both have a huge stack on our nightstands, There are two very large book shevles in our office. The one is stacked two deep on each shelf. There are also plastic storage boxes in our basement full of books.

Omitted the footnote:

*In The Night of the Jabberwock, Fredric Brown’s hero says he has a bookshelf in every room, the bathroom included. It’s a mistake to judge the author’s habits from those of his characters, but I’ll bet this represents Brown as well. Or at least the way he wished his house was.

Yuppers.

I’m guilty of all (except the kitchen - only about 20-25 in the kitchen).

I have a bookcases in my Living Room, Bedroom, Guest Bedroom, (and bathroom :o) plus a trunk full in the alcove in my hallway.

I know I don’t need that many, but I can never settle on which I should get rid of. My sister says she’s afraid my house will collapse under the weight :smiley:

We have a bookcase in the livingroom that I have to admit is getting over crowded and my daughter has one in her room. Her bookcase is almost full and there are always the extra library books laying around in her room.

There is almost always a book on the boyfriends night stand.

Not very. My husband doesn’t read for pleasure*, the kids like to read, but I’m the only one who takes it to extremes. I realized long ago that I’d never have the money or storage space to pursue my hobby properly, so half the books in my house at any given time are probably library books. Library books are kept on a dedicated table and stacked so that they can be read in order according to return date.

*I know. I don’t get it either.

We mostly keep our books in the library room, which probably has over a thousand books in it. Other books wander out into other rooms, but generally their “home” is the library room.

hmmm. . . .

I don’t think of our house as very bookish, but there are 10+ in the kitchen.

10+ in the living room.

10+ in the dining room.

1 book in the bathroom.

Probably only 3 books in bedroom 1 (a book with chess problems, plus what we’re reading).

1 book in bedroom 2.

Bookshelf in bedroom 3, so there’s plenty. But, we don’t keep a lot of books. We use the library a lot, and like to borrow.

Our bedrooms and kitchen probably average between 10 and 20, maybe slightly higher, and no books permanently housed in the dining room.
But there are at least 3 rooms with well over a hundred.
Do I get extra credit for 2 family members working at libraries?

Hmm…let’s see:
My room? Check.
Spouse’s room? Check.
Office room? Check.
Bedroom? Check.
Bathrooms? No books in spouse’s bathroom. Other two–check.
Kitchen? Check.
Dining/living room area? Check.
Family room? Check.

So other than spouse’s bathroom, yes, books in every room. Plus three tall shelves full of overflow in storage. I can’t get rid of books. Once they come into my possession, they’re mine for life. I have books from my grade-school days (and I even still read some of them occasionally!)

I usually keep all my books in one or two areas, like the library or my bedroom, just to keep the clutter down. I have over 500 books, even after donating a ton to the book store, so keeping them in one place seems to make things more organized.

Only about five in the bathroom, but every other room has many books. I try to keep my library down to around 3,000 books. The number is that low only because I’ve moved a lot, and have had to get rid of books each time to make moving easier. If I hadn’t moved so much, I’d have over 10,000 by now.

When I was a kid, I wanted to live in a library. I guess I’ve succeeded…
I still don’t have the gothic architecture or the spiral staircases between levels…sigh…

Most perfect libraries in fiction depicted by Borges, Umberto Eco, and Terry Pratchett…

That’s it. I’m coming over! :slight_smile:

Show of hands - who besides me has daydreamt about having a library with one of those ladders on wheels to get at the top shelves?

There are no books in our bathrooms or in the dining room. All of the other rooms, yes. Hundreds in the living room and study, maybe a hundred in each kid’s room, and a small stack in my bedroom.

Husband has been using hot weather as an excuse to delay the start of building a new bookshelf for our bedroom, but weather has now cooled off, so I presume construction will begin soon.

We have well over 1,000 books in our house - and the grand total is almost certainly in excess of 2,000 volumes.

However, there’s never more than one in the bathroom (we have a teeny-tiny bathroom) and only cookbooks are permitted in my kitchen (I have a teeny-tiny kitchen).

The other rooms generally have anywhere from one to 1,000 books in them. Fewer books outside the designated library areas (the back bedroom and the basement) if we’ve cleaned recently and more books outside the designated library areas if we haven’t cleaned recently.

Both my husband and I read, and books will migrate around the house according to what’s been on the recent reading list. There is, for example, nearly always a moderate pile of books near the front door (where I onload and offload books from my purse for train and subway reading) unless I’ve cleaned up that room in the last 24 hours. There is almost always a pile of books in the bedroom on either side of the bed, consisting of the books one or the other of us has finished reading while in bed since the last bedroom cleaning. Similar piles exist next to the couch/easy chair in the living room and anywhere else reading might get accomplished (except the bathroom - see above regarding the space constraints in the bathroom).

However, it is true that I dream about a library of sufficient size as to require a rolling ladder. My dream-library, however, also contains a large television with DVD player and the DVD library, as well as the computers.