How can I show off fancy salts?

So we finally got a Whole Foods! And they have weird salt bins full of fancy salts! Yay!

Now what?

I understand that fancy salts are really for the table (that you can’t really taste all the fanciness in cooked foods.) We got pink and black Hawaiian salt - the pink has really big crystals, the black has medium ones. So obviously you’re supposed to use them on the table.

If we were to throw a dinner party what’s the best sort of thing to enjoy them on? Totally open to suggestions here - usually I don’t use salt at the table at all because I grew up in a heart-attack household and once I started cooking I learned all about salting things right on the stovetop. So I don’t know how to enjoy this stuff. (Except for the salt cellars - I ordered beautiful vintage ones from Ebay. Obviously. Got that covered.)

Small, transparent salt grinders. Or, pepper grinders, and put salt in them. Chances are they could use a little grinding before adding at the table; my girlfriend uses the Hawaiian salt and carries a grinder in her purse.

Steak (or other grilled or roasted meat or poulty or fish), potatoes, deviled eggs, vegetables, tomatoes, radishes, melon, fancy salad greens - pretty much anything, really.

I have both the pink and black, but I don’t think I could tell the difference when blindfolded on food. The visual impact is kinda cool, but most people will assume the black is pepper.

I personally like the larger crystals as I like the crunch it gives.

I tend to think I can tell the difference on eggs (I know that isn’t really dinner party stuff), but not sure. I use the same type of salt cellar Alton Brown uses - and I think it looks cool.
http://www.amazon.com/RSVP-Endurance®-Salt-Server-Spoon/dp/B000PSTGKW

ETA: agree with zombywoof on tomatoes - I think I like that even more than the eggs.

Bread and unsalted butter

Fancy salts are as much (or more) a texture thing than a taste thing. You might be able to taste smoked salt, or herb-infused salt, but pink salt versus black versus whatever? It’s very subtle, almost imperceptible unless you’re tasting by itself (which, of course, people do).

Texture-wise, though, there’s definitely a difference, and that’s what you want to highlight. I like fleur de sel sprinkled on steaks or pork right before serving; it melts slower than normal salt and is not as strong as table salt, so it gives you little crunchy salt bombs as you eat (like DataX said…)

Same thing if you sprinkle it on appetizers. You want to do it RIGHT before serving, and do it with something it can melt into. Dips, tomatoes cut in half, etc. It’s not going to do anything on dry things - give it some moisture to mix with.

I think the best food thing to highlight it might be a really good bread and butter, like Tara57 said. A fresh, quality baguette, some high-fat unsalted butter, and pink salt? Sign me up.

Now I want bread and salt.

Another vote for bread with Tara57 and Athena. I would also perhaps add a small bowl of good olive oil. Dip bread in oil first and you can get the salt to stick to the bread a bit more easily.

Also, I think bread and salt is part of a welcoming/greeting ritual in some cultures. My German friend bought us bread and salt as a present when we moved into our new house.

On way you can use it when cooking is to bake foccacia and top it with some unsalty toppings and then a sprinkling of sea salt. The crunch stays and I love Athena’s phrase so I’m going to steal it, the salt bombs are marvelous. My personal favorite is tomatoes tossed in olive oil and basil with a sprinkle of salt. Very simple and very delicious.