How can I take advantage of the fact that I want to buy 2 cars at the same time?

So without giving a bunch of unneeded backstory here I’m looking to buy 2 late model vehicles next month. I’m planning on buying (most likely) a 2010/2009 Ford Fusion or Chevy Malibu cash out. I’m going to pay cash for that vehicle. My wife also wants a van, as we are expecting a 3rd child this summer. We aren’t really too picky on the van, but she will be trading in a 2006 Pacifica that she is not-quite upside down on, and we will be putting 10K down on that as well.

I’m guessing if I go into a dealership with a plan to buy 2 vehicles with no financial hassles to overcome that’s gotta be worth something.

So how can I leverage this position?

My daughter and her boyfriend were in this situation a couple of years ago. They had just graduated and both gotten great job offers in California, moved there fresh from college and had to purchase two cars quickly.

Neither of them were good negotiators, but the boyfriend’s dad was, so he went with them to the car dealer and explained to the salesman in a nice way that he was either going to get two quick commissions or none and what could he do to make it the former? They got really good deals on two new cars.

I believe the critical point is to make both purchases through the same salesman, because he’s going to really want to make that double sale.

(Both cars outlasted the relationship, but both she and he have since found new and better-for-them SOs.)

Financing isn’t always a “hassle” for the dealer. In many cases, as I understand it, there can be significant commissions on the financing.

A deal you may offer is that they provide financing, which you then pay off 30 days later. Not to mention that there are some great financing deals out there for domestic cars, and it may make sense to keep your money working, and paying the very tiny finance charges in one of those deals… if your credit is worthy.

See if you can deal with the dealership’s fleet manager, who normally sells to businesses. That person usually gets a commission based on sales volume, not price.

As long as the buyer ends up qualifying, although I believe the push through approvals on car financing very fast, not like buying a house.

OK to pay off but read the fine print first for early payoff penalties.

I don’t know about fleet sales but in most businesses “sales volume” is generally measured in $$, not units.

Also, the same advice would apply as if you were only buying one car. There is lots written online about this but my advice is:

Don’t fall in love with a car. Always have an alternative.

Research the cars you want, find out dealer invoice, holdbacks, rebates, etc., etc. (But remember that no matter how much research you do, the dealer will know more.)

Have a bottom-line price, and be prepared to walk out of the showroom if they can’t meet it. If the dealer see a customer walk out, they know that chances are they won’t be back, so they will do whatever they can do to sell you the car the first time you come in.

Don’t pay “junk fees” that the dealer may try to add on. The legitimate charges are taxes, title, and destination charges. Many dealers will charge a “processing fee,” usually $100-300. It’s preprinted on the contract, but subtract it out when you are determining what to offer.

They will try to confuse you. Don’t sign anything if you don’t understand all line items and all charges. Time is on your side. The dealer needs your money faster than you need the car.

Don’t buy any of the dealer options like paint protection, interior protection, extended warranties, etc.

Definitely not a hassle for the dealer. It’s pretty much all automated anyway. “Letting” the dealer finance me is a pretty good carrot. For my Expedition, I already had financing before shopping (always good advice), but “let” them do the financing in the end for the same rate. It was actually easier for the dealer (not unknown checks to clear) and easier for me (sign and wait until the next day for detailing and drive).

Dealers obviously want to make a profit, and their kickbacks on financing contributes to their bottom line. Walking in with a pile of cash and getting your way is a myth. They want to offer you financing.