How Celebrities Treat the Paparazzi

I’ll admit upfront that I’m a regular peruser of TMZ.com— but my curiosity lies more with how celebrities interact with the paparazzi. I find it quite fascinating.

So, if you were an A-level movie star, how would you deal with cameras following your every move in public? From what I can see, the celebrities tend to fall into one of 3 categories:

1. Be unfailingly courteous and pleasant at all times. This group includes Matt Damon, George Clooney, Brad Pitt, Johnny Depp, Will Smith, etc.

2. Be combative, rude, violent, snarky. This group includes Brad Garrett, Tobey Maguire, and Hugh Grant.

3. Ignore them by not even acknowledging their existence. Stare at the ground and keep walking. This group includes Leo DiCaprio and Steven Spielberg.

I, of course, can’t even imagine losing my anonymity to the point of not being able to go out for dinner without swarms of cameras flashing in my face. But knowing my personality, I undoubtedly would fall into Category #1.

(note that I’m not referring to the legitimate press at movie premieres or other functions… I’m talking about the people who hunt celebs who are walking on the sidewalk or in the airport.)

I’d put on a show for them.

Occasionally kissing random people, even one of them from time to time, acquiring and smoking illicit substances on camera… you know, fun stuff.
Seriously, I’d put on a show of some sort for them, at least at first. Then I’d get tired of it and politely ask them to leave me alone. I’d tell them that my regular shows, the times when I do interesting things, are on the 3rd and 18th of each month, but if they follow me around any time other than that – they get no show.

They either get to choose 30 days of mundane lifestyle, or 2 days of amazing excitement.

I meant to add to my original question: what is the best way to treat the paps so they leave you alone as quickly as possible?

Asking them politely to leave you alone only seems to entice them. Sort of like giving a dog one piece of meat, then saying “that’s enough, run along now”

I think you need to ask one of the stars this …
Frankly, I’ve always been skeptical of the idea that all movie stars get followed everywhere whether they like it or not. I’ve never seen a photo of Tom Hanks in public, even when he was the biggest star on the planet. Ditto lots of others.

Some of these types, ISTM, want the paps around when it suits them, only to act shocked when they don’t leave. Others want to go to high-profile clubs and gatherings and then demand privacy.

I think if you aare boring, they’ll leave you alone-ish, so I’d be perfectly polite, but not outrageous. Generally, I only notice pics of the Damons and Clooneys that seem to be red carpet ones, or their latest fling. Sso if I have no flings, I think that’d cut down on things to where they’re just part of the job when I’m “on”, as it were.