how close to Jupiter for a manned mission (radiation danger)?

It’s been a long while since I saw The film 2010, but I seem to remember that the Discovery spacecraft was boarded near the moon Io.
In light of knowlwdge, even at the time of filming, this seems suicidal given the trapped solar radiation there.
Even the radiation hardened electronics of the Galileo space probe objected to the intense radiation experienced near Io.
So, just how close could a manned mission approach to Jupiter and expose the crew to an acceptable dose of trapped radiation.
Could any of the Galiliean moons be safely visited for, say 6 months?

Can’t answer your question, but it’s interesting. Can you enlighten us as to why solar radiation gets trapped there? And what kind of radiation are we talkin’ about? LIGHT is a form of radiation IIRC.

Intriguing question.

Can’t answer your question, but it’s interesting. Can you enlighten us as to why solar radiation gets trapped there? And what kind of radiation are we talkin’ about? LIGHT is a form of radiation IIRC. And why just Io?

Intriguing question.

:confused: What in the heck are you talking about? There is no harmful radiation that emanates from Jupiter.

Radiation belts are regions where charged particles (cosmic rays and solar wind) get trapped in the magnetic field of a planet. The one around earth is also called the Van Allen belt. Jupiter has one too.

How long you can survive in a radiation belt depends entirely on how well shielded your spacecraft is. With enough shielding you can survive anywhere indefinitely.

:smack:
Of course! Thanks for setting us straight scr4.

scr4, maybe not anywhere: I think you’d have a tough time existing in any form other than plasma on the surface of a main-sequence sunlike star. And, of course, tidal forces don’t really care about any shielding we’ve yet developed.

What, you haven’t heard of metaphasic shields?

All right, point taken. Any environment that can vaporize or otherwise destroy your shield would not be survivable. And there are no shields that can block tidal forces. Antimatter may be difficult to deal with as well.

Jupiter’s radiation belts are so large that the inner moons are bathed in radiation from them. I don’t think you want to be visiting IO any time soon.

The moons farther out, like Ganymede might be outside the belts. I’m not sure.