How concerned are you about this Coronavirus?

I’m more worried about this weekend when I might pick up the deadly Tecatevirus from my local bar.

Out of interest, how easy is it for this to mutate and for the mortality rate to increase? And if that happens would people who previously got sick with an earlier strain be protected?

Story for the paranoid to become even more so:

Coronavirus deaths will surpass SARS in the next 24 hours — as global virus fears mount, Agence France-Presse, Jan. 29, 2020 as reprinted in Raw Story (which, as usual, gives no link to the original).

I guess I’m at about a 2, when thinking of future spread. We’ve set aside enough fuel, water, food, and medicine to shelter-in-place for a month if necessary. Which is normal for us, so nothing has changed.

Eldest is flying to London, Bahrain, and Singapore this week, which will put him closer to the outbreak. I talked to him yesterday about some aspects of the trip, but neither of us mentioned the virus. It hasn’t reached the point where we’ve started worrying or discussing it. Don’t know how I’ll feel in a month, though.

I’m a little concerned. My workplace has a lot of international workers. Just the other day I overheard a Chinese (not sure if she’s an American citizen or not) woman in my department talking about how she and her husband had been planning to buy tickets for them and their infant son to visit China until they heard about the CDC warning. I dunno. I think I’d have canceled my plans before that, especially if I were traveling with an infant.

This is me.

Zero. These things have always happened, all the time. We just hear about them all now, because 24/7 news.

I intended to set aside food and water for Y2K, but there was no space in my pantry. It was full of flour and cereal and vegetable oil and canned goods and peanut butter and dried legumes. So I decided I didn’t need to stockpile food. I did buy a couple of gallons of bottled water for Y2K, which I threw out a couple years later when the bottles were covered with dust.

I’m not worried about my tap water failing. I still have a pantry full of random stuff I might eat. I also think it’s very unlikely we will have any reason t shelter at home for this.

Right now I’m slightly worried, but not so worried that I’m going to change my appointment for a routine mammogram at a hospital in the heart of our local China town, coming up in a week. If I’m feeling especially paranoid that day, maybe I’ll wear a face mask.

Actually, these things are way more dangerous now than they used to be because people fly across the world all the time these days. Lots of people, including poor-ish people who might not seek medical care. I’m not especially worried about personally dying from this epidemic – it has a shortish incubation period, and I think it will be contained.

But I am worried that an epidemic will take out humanity. Or enough of humanity to disrupt the global economy in a big way.

Not worried at all. The governments involved seem to be doing everything they can to keep it from spreading. Besides that I live in a small city and don’t know anyone who has been to China within the last few years.

I’m concerned enough about the new coronavirus that I’ve dramatically curtailed my consumption of wild-caught snakes. Only farm-raised, FDA-inspected snakes for me.

I’m surprised that KarlGauss and Qadgop haven’t caught on that influenza vaccination caused the new coronavirus outbreak! Or it’s part of a population-culling scheme by our evil overlords, including Bill Gates.

Be very afraid. And buy lots of canned food.

And frozen, microwaveable snake fritters.

If you get the Corona Virus, Lyme disease can’t be far behind as they tend to travel together.:smack::eek::smiley:

Not nearly as concerned as I am about The Twittler using it as an excuse to declare martial law and having ‘infected Americans’ collected and taken to ‘treatment facilities’ from which they never return; and then declaring himself a hero of the [del]nation[/del] planet for stopping the pandemic with his sheer awesomeness. I’m probably not as concerned as I should be about either eventuality, I suppose. So, like 0.005/10 for the disease, and .0083/10 for the police state.

The internet people are calling it “The Kung Flu”. I’d be ok dying of something called The Kung Flu.

Lets see I’m about to get on my second flight in 3 days. Between now and mid-March I’ll be on another cross country flight and will work three trade shows one of which attracts 100,000 visitors from around the world.

Unless those events get cancelled or the the even unlikelier event the government sets up quarantines there’s not much I can do about it. I still have to do my job. If I get sick I get sick. I have a better chance of catching the Flu anyway.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I see what you did there. Will be watching you :smiley:

My concern just ticked up one point because Chicago - which I live and work close to - now has a second case, this one a case of human-to-human transmission in Chicago (husband of first case, clearly a close contact). Still low at a 1 or a 2. I’ll worry more if Chicago starts to have more cases.

There is one bright spot me me, as terrible as it sounds.

Flying this way to visit my mom, before the news sounded so grim, the plane was completely booked and I was stuck on a window seat (in economy) across the Pacific and middle seat from San Francisco to Atlanta.

Now no one ones to be flying to Taiwan so I set aisle seats back.

I tend to not worry about these things too much.

I caught the Corona virus a decade ago when we drove past the monstrous brewery above Zacatecas. Moza cured me.

Oh, this current furore. What, me worry? Flu kills more around here. Few global travelers tread the same paths as I. And our bears and mountain lions will get them first.

Well I have had the corona virus many times over the years, well it’s a common cold which is a corona virus!

Delta cancelled flights on sunday after announcing the last day would be 6 Feb. My wife got her ticket changed and is now in Korea preparing for a flight to SF. Assuming the screening in SF goes well, then should be in Seattle around 3:00PM Monday (tomorrow). will see. Gonna be careful around the house such as frequent hand washing, sleeping in the guest room, using the guest towels and washing them every day, etc. Don’t think we need to do more than that.

The infection rate in shanghai is about 300 people out of about 20,000,000, so pretty low odds if asymetric