How could a police officer be this wrong?

Instead of calling the cops, can you just call a tow truck and have the car towed?

Not where I live, and probably not anywhere.

Why don’t you call the police chief or a Lt. and ask for clarification?
If the officer was right, they can explain it to you, if the officer was wrong, they might be willing to issue a ticket and mail it over to the person’s house since the the officer did witness the violation.
Also, if the officer was wrong (and it isn’t owned by someone with the PD in their back pocket), someone needs to explain to her that business owned vehicles can receive non-moving violations.

I can’t see how the officer could be right, but it’s worth having it explained to you before making too many speculations. It’s also possible you (or she) just misunderstood something. Also, IME, calling and saying “I don’t understand this situation” goes over a lot easier that calling to complain. Be it a police department or a grocery store. When you call in a complaint, people go on the defense, when you ask for an explanation you’re more likely to have someone say “You’re right, that doesn’t make sense, let me see what I can find out and call you back.” It’s passive aggressive, but it gets results.

Dude, you fucked up! That cop chick was so hitting on you.

Honestly, by this point, I’m surprised Ambi doesn’t have his own dedicated line at the police station. Kind of like rich people who have a black Amex card.

I think that is an excellent idea.

It’s falls under the umbrella of something I’ve said on this board many times…‘sometimes you can win by letting the other person think they’ve won’. In this case, if Ambi is right and the cop is wrong, he’ll win, but the person who he talks to will think they’ve won since in their mind they’re the one who actually found the problem. They get to claim the little mini victory, you just provided a small tip. People’s need to win is very strong and if you can play it to your advantage, it’s helpful.

This is where it is seriously tempting to get the self adhesive stickers that are ‘asshole’ tickets and slap it on the glass at eye height on the drivers side. When he calls the cops, let him complain someone vandalized his car while he was illegally parked in a handicapped spot with a 3 year out of date placard with obvious attempt to cover up the expiration date. For bonus points, before you slap that puppy on the windshield, get good pix of the placard and glasses case, and add a newspaper for date stamp.

An open bucket of syrup purchased from your local equivalent of Costco. Ooops! you trip and it gets all over the drivers door.

I agree with your post save that I call the method, “Letting the other guy be right”.

:slight_smile:

That will work great until it actually IS a handicapped person that lost the new placard or never bothered to get a new one, can’t remove the sticker, and then has an auto accident because of the sticker. Then folks go CSI on the sticker and your ass is in jail for manslaughter.

I see your word tempting there. Or in other words yeah, but don’t actually DO it.

This is the kind of stuff video cameras and youtube were made for - much worse than some measly tickets for someone who can easily afford them. Bonus points if you catch them on tape doing a wide variety of high-intensity exercises.

You might want to get a little legal input about showing their face and/or license plate, but those aren’t strictly necessary for it to be effectual.

:confused: But I had no trouble here whatsoever. :confused:

Actually, I am doing this today.

I’m waiting for the rest of the story, like how it turns out the driver only hasn’t renewed his placard because he hasn’t got his new prosthetic leg yet, or he can’t afford it because he spends all his money saving diabetic puppies or something.

The fucker parked illegally. End of story. If, on the small chance that he is disabled and chooses to use an expired placard, so what? Disabled people have just as much of a responsibility to use handicapped parking spaces in the proper, legal manner as do able-bodied people have the responsibility not to abuse those spots.

Nevermind. Not worth it.

Maybe he’s got an “in” with the cops? Who knows? And how did you know it was expired in the first place – what do you do, peep in and study everyone’s placard to make sure they’re correct?

Not saying this dude is right, but sometimes, you have to pick and choose which battles are worth it. You reported it, now let the police and the gym staff handle it.

Michigan temp. placards are red, not blue , only good for one to six months and cannot be renewed.
Also. it was noted in the OP that the placard expired in 2009.

If this is really how you feel, then why contribute imaginary motivations to him?