How Could I (Ethically) Get To Touch A Chimp, Gorilla, Orangutan, Or Bonobo In The US?

Is there an ethical great ape rehab facility in the US where a) the animals are used to humans enough that they’re not a threat, and b) the general public is allowed an audience (for lack of a better choice of words) with the critters?

Obviously I want to steadfastly avoid any facility that traffics in captured wild animals, as that’s gross beyond words.

Petting zoos. Maybe some of the ape sanctuary offer that with younger chimps. The adults are too strong and dangerous. Selling tickets supports the facility.

I think the chimps we see in movies and tv are younger because its safer for everyone.

I don’t think a petting zoo would be ethical if it had baby chimps or bonobos.

Ethically, on your part, OP just go look at zoos. Which may not always be ethical either.

Take a trip to a sanctuary in Africa. Volunteer. After you’re tired of the poop being flung at you, you can come home with a better respect for wild animals.

We, as humans(so-called the highest primate)don’t do a good ethical job in the way we treat these animals.

Umm, younger chips: When I was about 6, my grandparents took me to a place called Mr. Jim’s Animal Kingdom. I really don’t recall what exactly this place was, and my gparents were thrilled that my mother let them take me anywhere. There was a young chimp, a lot smaller than me at the time (I was pretty undersized) was being bathed and kids were going up to shake hands with it. My turn came and I jerked away because its skin felt weird to me. I was encouraged to try again. I did, and it took my hand with both it’s hands and stuck the outer edge of my left index finger in it’s mouth and bit down with it’s canine teeth. The bite went down to the bone. It was a whole thing and my poor grandparents never got to take me anywhere again. :slightly_frowning_face: My advice is to not touch great apes. YMMV

You could get an acting role in a sitcom series, but it may not end up well, as shown in the documentary Nope. In other words, don’t.

I think a definition of ethical is in order here. A higher primate in captivity in any context doesn’t seem ethical to me. Maybe if you could find someone who has a chimp as a free ranging pet?

You know that that nice, tame chimp may at any moment spontaneously decide to eat your face, right? In any case, fucking around with wild animals for your own entertainment is not ethical, as @Lucas_Jackson said.

In the 80s, I was attending a University, where they were teaching an orangutan American Sign Language.
One weekend, stuck at Uni with no car, I was wandering around campus.
Fine, bright Autumn day.
And I met one of the Orang’s attendants, plus her charge, taking an outdoor walk.
I asked permission to touch his hand, which was given.
The orang showed great interest in my red/orange, fuzzy sweatshirt, fingering it, and calling it “re candy-fruit shirt” in sign language.
It was a meeting I will never forget.

There is an animal rescue in Middleburg, FL, called Single Vision that has a resident bonobo who’s quiet friendly. They have YT clips and a website and can always use donations. If you go, say “Hi!” to Bruiser Bear for me.

Become a veterinarian. Take a job at a zoo. Surely some ape will need some medical treatment sooner or later.

Become a laboratory research scientist. Work for a large cosmetic firm.
I and thousands more will hate you forever.

Sorry. No easy answers.

A friend was the veterinarian at the Pittsburgh zoo for years. The non-human primates were the worst part of his job. Many minor human diseases are problematic for them and vice-versa, so he had to wear mask, gown, gloves for every interaction. They were also very dangerous, responsible for a few of the injuries he sustained.

The smart thing to do is stay as far the fuck away from them as you possibly can. Great apes (especially chimps) are, pound for pound, some of the most dangerous animals alive today. Immensely strong, temperamental, and SMART. That’s a deadly combination. They will rip your face and balls off in an instant without a second thought.

I would 100% rather bare-hand fight a grizzly bear than a full grown chimp. At least the bear might get bored and leave before it kills me.

Do not fuck with primates.