[QUOTE=elucidator]
The American Barking Spider (Flatuus Deadliae) is mostly harmless, and serves as putative culprit for otherwise inexplicable eructations from the Nixon.
From my reading, it appears that Austrailian wildlife falls into two broad categories: animals that will kill you, and animals that will kill you and eat you.
[/QUOTE]
I am not sure if it is because I’m Australian or just dumb that I don’t understand your barking spider - but then again Nixon is one of your ex-presidents, so I suspect I am on totally the wrong track.
Re real spiders and snakes and all our other deadly stuff - it’s pretty well a great big myth. We don’t have bears or big cats or rabid creatures! Camping in our bush is totally safe. The biggest risk in the outback is running out of water. We have plenty of deadly critters, but they dont tend to kill anyone very often other than the occassional crocodile who wants to get into the news. We are better are sensationalising than educating.
Loved the photo Boscibo. I am SOOOO jealous.
[QUOTE=TV time]
One of the most fascinating things I have seen tarantulas is when they go into attack mode. It is wonderfully scary to behold. They rise up on their back four legs and come rushing at their target (once a friend and me) waving their front four legs and making a phleming throat-clearing sound. If I hadn’t grown up with spiders as a youngster, I would have been terrified as my friend was who froze in place and whom I literally had to drag away.
Whenever I tell the story, there are people who say that spiders don’t rise up on their back legs and attack making weird noises, but fortunately enough people have come across the action that I have back up witnesses.
[/QUOTE]
They rear up to attack because their fangs point downwards. All mygalomorph spiders do. That’s the tarantulas, trapdoor spiders, what we call funnel-webs (like the Sydney funnel-web) and our mouse spiders. All other spiders (known as araneomorphs) have their fangs coming together in the front, parallel to the ground, so they don’t raise their bodies to attack.
I wish we had proper flashy looking tarantulas like you Americans do.
Lynne