How deep should I bury my cat?

OK smartass, what did they do with them?? A cat is a little too large to flush down a toilet.

Whammo, sorry about your cat :frowning:

Growing up, I once had 13 or so dead cats buried in my back yard. Mostly kittens that were not taken care of by the mother. But otheres were cats I had for sometime. They were all buried about 2-3 feet deep. I also had two dogs and they never dug the cats up. Putting rocks or stones over the kitty will help to prevent it. Also, you may want to consider concrete if you are too worried about your dog. Once you place your cat down in the grave, fill the hole halfway with cement and it will be like a tomb. Then fill it the rest of the way with dirt. Nothing is getting him out of there. I am not sure if that is a good idea, since I just thought of it right now. But 2ft deep with rocks is definitely a fine idea.

You’re PAVING OVER your pet? And you think I’M out of touch?
Whatever you say, dude ::backing away slowly::

This is just some teenage boy thinking it is unmanly to have a cat as a pet, he doesn’t know what he is saying.

Every single adult person I know who loved their cat or dog and lost that member of their family both mourned them, and either buried them when they died or had them cremated and kept the ashes. My Tasha and Ginji were cremated and their ashes reside in my living room next to a picture of the two of them-I believe that someone else, earlier in this thread, has done this same thing.

I sincerely hope that you have more tenderness in your heart than you are exhibiting here. If not, I feel sorry for you.

Whammo, bless you. There is nothing wrong with the way you are feeling, and it says alot for you that you don’t feel it “unmanly” to express it.

Scotti

This is just some teenage boy thinking it is unmanly to have a cat as a pet, he doesn’t know what he is saying. **
[/QUOTE]

ahhh… I’m not worried about that… I expected some posts like that long ago, even in my original thread, I’m surprised it took the trolls so long.

Trust me… I have gotten more responses from real, conserned, thoughtful and caring posters then I ever imagined. Everything I have gotten WAY overshadows these losers even if they want to take it to 20 pages… I don’t even care. :slight_smile:

< techchick sniffs the air, possible troll dung? >

Anyhow Whammo,

I am sooooo sorry for you and your kitty. I have two cats and a dog and older cat is 14 years old. Older cat limps and I really don’t see him living for much more than a year.

I think the cremation idea is a good one. In our county it is illegal to bury dead pets in your yard. Oh and I rent too so burying my animals anywhere is out of the question until I am able to buy a house. Also, there is no possibility that another animal will dig it up.

That’s just my thoughts on the matter. Regardless, Whammo I hope your week gets better :frowning:

{{{{{WHAMMO}}}}}

Coming in late, but still…

Speaking as someone who was traumatized at an early age by the family toy collie, an otherwise perfect little lady, digging up my dead hamster that I had buried in a shoebox with much pomp and ceremony, I would say, “Bury it deep, in a Hefty sack, and use rocks. Lots of rocks.”

I think patio pavers are too light. Daisy the Beagle has no trouble moving concrete blocks around in order to get out of the yard, and she’s only 18 pounds. Bear’s concrete idea sounds good, but it might attract attention from your neighbors if you back a concrete mixer up to your yard and start pouring into a coffin-sized hole. “Just burying my cat,” you assure them cheerfully, as they peer over the fence. Uh-huh. Next thing you know, you’re talking to the sheriff, or worse–Neighborhood Services.

(no, no, not Neighborhood Services…)

Make sure it’s legal in your area to bury pets in the back yard. Generally speaking, it’s perfectly fine as long as your neighbors don’t notice and turn you in somewhere.

(to Neighborhood Services! AAAAAAGGGGHHHH…)

P.S. Just ignore the Silly Fools who CAn’t UnderStand.

Oh Whammo, I am so sorry. This just really sucks. What really gets me is that you tried so hard with Max. You felt bad about what happened and you took responsibility, suffering emotionally and financially. And this is how it has to end. So few people are willing to go to the lengths you did. People who care as much as you should have happy endings, darn it.

As to the question at hand, I have lost three pets: two cats and a cockatiel. I had all three privately cremated, and I have the cats’ ashes in urns. The bird is in a decorative tin.

Whammo, life just sucks sometimes. It really, really sucks.

Your handling of the few people who posted thoughtless, insensitive comments is to be admired. I don’t know why people who can’t say something nice in this situation have to say anything at all. Whatever.

You’re doing the right thing with Max. Not that this makes it any easier.

:frowning:

I’m so sorry.
You’re a good person that care so much about Max.
Take care.

((((((((kram)))))))))

[quote]
Bear’s concrete idea sounds good, but it might attract attention from your neighbors if you back a concrete mixer up to your yard and start pouring into a coffin-sized hole. “Just burying my cat,” you assure them cheerfully, as they peer over the fence. Uh-huh. Next thing you know, you’re talking to the sheriff, or worse–Neighborhood Services.

[quote]
LOL, DDG. Just to make sure everyone had the same mental image as me, and not a huge ass hole or big 'ole truck: I am thinking more along the lines of a “normal” 2ft deep hole. Place the kitty in a nice decorated shoe box, then place the whole box on the hole. Then you pore in the concrete, but only to fill in half the hole. You can get a bag of concrete mix from the store and mix it in a bucket. If you own the house, fill the hole all the way with conrete and you can either write the cats name on top directly into the concrete, or place a plaque or something with the kitty’s name on the top. If you press firmly before it dries, the plaque will stay put. I think this would look nice. It might be a little much, but it would look nice.
And sf ca us, I am not talking paving over the cat. We are not building a drive way or patio in the backyard here.

Please don’t kill me… I mean no disrespect.

I am sorry about your cat. I have pets, too and I may sound cold hearted, but-

I am a taxidermist. I could never taxiderm my own pet, but it’s nice to have the pet with you, and I have preserved people’s pet cats for them before.

Since your cat is already buried, let me make a humble suggestion:

If you bury an average sized cat “as is”, without a plastic bag or makeshift coffin or anything, it will be er- “ready” in about five months, depending on a number of conditions.
You can dig it up and collect the bones! Then you can wire the bones together and have a really cool cat skeleton and I think ol’ Max will appreciate that he will live on as a work of art.
You can even get creative with it-
I have sewn pigeon wings on rats before and let them fly around like wee angels.

Anyway, bury about a foot deep or so, not too deep, and cover it up with a couple of big rocks.

I am sorry whammo, truly. I wish some people here would be a bit more sensitive. No. I just wish they just wouldnt act like asses. We had a beautiful little tiger cat, which was hit by a car. The animal place picked him up before we could, but we buried his food dish instead. Good luck whammo.
{{{Maxwell}}}

Whammo: you have masterfully demonstrated how to ignore the trolls.

I didn’t get teary-eyed over Max’s demise until I read this thread (I’m going through some difficulty myself, and I’m a bit numb). As far as the dogs digging up the corpse, I don’t think that will happen. From your description of their interactions, the dogs knew Max was part of the pack. They will understand that he’s dead and grieve in their own way. Digging him up won’t be part of that process.

Give the dogs plenty of extra attention over the next few weeks. They’ll need it, and they’ll probably sense your own grief and try to help you work through your grief too, in their own way.

~~Baloo

Cats are beloved friends and companions. They are valued and loved. They do not belong in the trash.

OK, you still didn’t show any respect, and your post, like yourself, does belong in the trash. Regardless of whether these are your real feelings or not, your post shows awe-inspiring insensitivity.

I am so sorry to hear about your cat, Whammo. It’s so hard to lose a beloved pet–they really do become family.

Over the years, we lost many, many cats, dogs, hamsters, etc.; our old place was a regular pet cemetery, but if it’s any consolation, no matter how deep or shallow we buried them, whether we put them in a box, a blanket, or nothing at all, even though we were out in a rural area with lots of wild animals, I don’t recall any ever being dug up. All rested in peace.

{{{Whammo}}}

And my condolences, sir, on being a real Sphincter Boy.

I mean, what the fuck is your problem posting this in here? Are you some sort of microcephalic? This man is losing a beloved family member, and you post this sort of shit in here?

I don’t care what Big Bird and Elmo told you on the TV, it is not OK to use mommy’s computer when she’s not home.

Just adding a “me,too” and “what they said”. I have two cats buried out in the pasture. My guess is about 1.5 to 2 feet deep. Put split firewood over the top. Never was bothered by my dogs or the neighborhoods loose ones.
I wish I had the words that would make this easier, but I’m pretty sure they don’t exist. Add my thoughts with the others…

Another drive-by posting marring a thread of grief and sorrow. Sorry, but the title of “Sphincter Boy” was just taken. So I’ll insult you another way - your new designation will be “Talks with Ass”. You R so eLi7e now!

Well, according to the other two “brainiacs” I responded to, apparently the trash and feeding to the dogs are preferred methods among your kind. Although I’m somewhat boggled as to how that would be done, since the intelligence required to take out the trash is pretty much out of reach of you three. And I’m quite certain any dogs you all met would be your intellectual superiors, so perhaps they would be your keepers in that relationship…

Anyways. Thank you, please drive through now.

Whammo - I’ve been following the story of your poor kitty for a while and have been heartbroken to hear of what he and the humans that love him have been going through. I have had cats all my life, and have 4 fat monster cats right now. As a result, I have had some experience burying them - I have had to bury 6. The kittens are the hardest.

Each cat I buried we planted a small tree over. It reminds us always of the family member who has passed on, and when I see the leaves swaying in the wind I think of each poor cat’s fur blowing gently in it, when they liked to sit outside and just watch the world.

If your lot is small, then trees are not a good answer perhaps. When we lived in a small house, we buried them about 3 feet below, wrapped in their favorite blanket and with their favorite toys and treats. Except for a few, which I keep to help remember them by.

I still cry sometimes when it gets cold out, thinking of how cold they must be, even though it makes no sense. I miss my cats that have gone.