How did I not know about this?

I try pretty hard to pay attention to the world around me. Really, I do. I subscribe to several national magazines and watch the news at least once a day. I try to keep up with current events and what’s going on in the world to be as well informed as possible. Due to this, I pretty much figure that if, oh say, someone was to be building a giant man-made structure on the Grand Canyon meant for lazy tourists to wander around on and purchase salted snacks, I’d like to think that I’d be aware of such a thing. Somehow, they snuck this one by me. It’s like finding out that we had gone ahead and built a Starbucks on the moon, and I was the only one who didn’t know.

How in the hell did this get approved? It’s…it’s…horrible… :confused:

Wow. I did not know of this either. Snopes says it’s true. Probably it was allowed only because it’s being done by Native Americans on reservation property. Nonetheless, it’s a travesty.
And even if it weren’t, there’s no way in hell I would take a single step onto that thing.

I dunno, we had a whole thread about it a few months ago :):

Who’s up for a glass-bottomed walkway above the Grand Canyon?

It’s a travesty, a sham, and a mockery. It’s a traveshamockery!

Why, do you weight more than seventy-one 747s? If so, you really need to cut back on the snacks. :smiley:

I’m going to have nightmares.

I think it’s really cool. I’d be out there in a heartbeat. Holding on to someone, so if we fall we both plummet to our deaths, but definitely out there.

Yes, well of course with my being so dilligent in staying informed, I don’t have time to actually read the board. :wink:

But in an effort to re-dilligize (yes I made that up) my efforts, I looked at the old thread, and I fail to notice any real displeasure with the idea. I think this is revolting, like deciding that the Sequoia National Forest would look better and be more enjoyable if we covered all the trees with blinking christmas lights or something. Can’t we just enjoy things in their natural state?

Well, to put it in proper perspective, it’s more like covering one small branch of a single tree with lights. Remember, the Grand Canyon is positively enormous compared to this puny human undertaking. It’s not like they’re turning the whole thing into one gigantic log flume or something.

They’re moving it from Colorado? :eek:

Good fuck, man, don’t give the Bush Administration any ideas! Next thing you know, they’ll have all of US Highway 101 decorated in Pat Boone memorabilia.

Stranger

Don’t be ridiculous…

It’s pronounced tramockery.

I used to fly down into the Grand Canyon, a really great and non destructive way to get to see it and then some idiots spread a bit of aluminum around in there and a few bodies and made it not possible to fly DOWN into the Canyon.

I have been bummed out about this ever since.

So, I’d really dig going out on the skywalk thing…

Don’t want to see billboards all along the rim but if we pass enough laws, we can keep everybody from ever going there again and that would be the best solution to protecting the canyon…

YMMV

snerk

You run around naked, live in a cave and walk everywhere without shoes? :wink:

As for the Skybridge thingy. The Grand Caynon is just that,. grand. The place is HUGE. I’d happen a guess you wouldn’t see this from the other major outlooks.

I think it’s kind of a cool idea.

But the English pronounce it “travery.”