How did Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture become part of American Independence Day celebrations

ETA: Obviously much music evokes and provokes genuine feelings “specific to” generalized groups of humanity even larger than any one nation its discrete shared references.

And, more appropriate to OP, although within a different milieu where the music-understanding element vis-a-vis emotion is different, are what in earliest (Medieval) appearances are called contrafacta. In fact, the most widespread contrafactum-of-sorts is in the same league as the music of the 1812 and The National Anthem;;

The martial tune and bellicose words of “The Armed Man” was a huge hit in the Renaissance, known to Popes and people alike. Yet Masses taking over that tune and still keeping it recognizable, sponsored by the most powerful rulers in the Western world, not only became a thing, but The Thing to do for almost all the composers in the market.

Ehh, I’ve heard 76 Trombones performed in many July 4th celebrations, despite the fact that it:

a) Was written in 1957
b) Specifically for a Broadway show
c) Makes no mention of liberty, patriotism, great battles. the 4th of July, the flag, heroism, or for that matter, America. It is a song about a marching band.

Frankly, Oklahoma! would be a better fit for the 4th. Not hard to adapt into a march, either.

Pretty sure the popularity William Tell Overture in the US is due to the fact that it was used as the theme to The Lone Ranger and not for any Swiss-related reason. I had no idea the William Tell was Swiss, I just remember something about shooting an apple off of his son’s head…

Wellington’s Victory is probably Beethoven’s worst composition. Every time I hear it, I can only hear, “The Bear Went Over the Mountain.”

Yup, that’s exactly how we co-opted it. But that’s actually only one of two parts of the piece that’s familiar to Americans: There’s another portion that’s often used to accompany idyllic springtime scenes.

There’s a reason for that. The Bear… and For He’s a Jolly Good Fellow were both derived from the French folk song “Marlbrough s’en va-t-en guerre” ("“Marlborough Has Left for the War”). Liszt also used it to great effect in “Les Preludes”.

A performance of the 1812 Overture loses a lot when televised. I tuned in one 4th of July evening just as they reached the cannon part. It was sort of silly because the boom of those 105mm howitzers is transformed into just a sharp firecracker on TV.

Somehow, in 6 years of music school at three institutions plus military bands, I can’t recall ever having a negative concern about the nationality of a composer, so biased as to prohibit our listening to, studying or performing their music. Isn’t music an international language?

Caution: Digital Cannons!

OoooOOOO! My crystal ball says that’s likely to be the origin for the Spanish Mambrú se fue a la guerra (ETA: what I find in youtube sounds different but close). I’d always wondered who the heck Mambrú was.

I wish that I could compose so badly.

For that matter, Tchaikovsky arranged rather than composed 1812.

I don’t think so. Arrange means there is an existing composition. You are referring to the use of existing themes?

The songs already existed. They weren’t just themes.

Granted. But the T-man did a helluva lot of arranging to bash them in place. 1812 Overture is not some ordinary Bing Crosby medley.

Quite right!

This overture celebrates our great victory over the British redcoats in the War of 1812.* A victory so outstanding that even way off in Russia Tchaikovsky had heard about it. So it’s quite appropriate for an Independence Day celebration.

*And don’t post info about this war, and ending where it started. It was a great American victory, and don’t distract me with any facts.

I don’t think the 1812 Overture is entirely composed of bits and pieces of existing works. I’m pretty sure there’s original stuff in there as well.

In the Tchaikovsky composition they are themes. These themes were mostly well know national songs (La Marseillaises, Czar’s Hymn) and Russian folk tunes. Some might be original including the catchy one at the end. Not sure.

Of course they haven’t always eaten that shit up… almost by definition.

There were a heck of a lot of Americans who wanted to make Washington our king. So, yes, we have always eaten that up.

And all of the 1812 Overture was made up of pieces of other songs, if you cut the pieces up small enough. :smiley: