How Did You Come By Your Polical Opinions?

Where did you come from and how did you get here, politically? What I would hope to see here is a brief bearing of your political soul with a few cites that were influential in its making. Here we go.

As late as 1996, I was still a believer in Truth, Justice and the American Way. Despite the Pentagon Papers, Watergate, Nixon’s pardon and Bush/Reagan Iran-Contra, I still believed in the basic honesty and public accessabilty of our government. I was at the last game the Seahawks were to play in their old stadium prior to its demolition. The lady who sang our National Anthem was extraordinary and brought tears to my baby blues. God Bless America.

I’ve been retired awhile and for the past 4 years I’ve had broadband and lots of time. My questions about the Pentagon Papers linked me to a study of our involvement in Vietnam which was not pretty. This linked me to a historical study of our interventions overt and covert elsewhere in the name of “democracy” and I realized that this was not a conspiracy but just the way we do business. And it’s all in the public record. I recommend What Uncle Sam Really Wants. It’s dated 1992 but revealing and a basis for extrapolation to date.

And, of course, imo, our domestic policy reflects our foreign policy. The drug industry can dictate unbid contracts to Medicare and shift public debate to the best plan to sell their the product. Wall Street gangsters are rewarded for stealing. And the Supremes are considering whether or not to legalize the corporate buying of Congress in the name of free speech. Spare me the rest, please.

I recommend Howard Zinn’s A Peoples History Of The United States: 1492 to Present for a good understanding of what we look at in this country today.

And for a great overview of why the world is as it is , none better than Jared Diamond’s *Guns, Germs And Steel. *

I differ from my upbringing. My mother always weighed each candidate and scorned those people who pulled the straight ticket lever in the voting booth.

But once I realized that the Democrats always seemed to be looking out for others and the Republicans just themselves, and had a history of obstruction for political goals rather than simply voting differently, I went straight ticket.

First I backed away from parties, then I backed away from the persons discussing parties, then I backed away from the persons pretending to discuss issues. In recent decades I have gone from apolitical to anti-political. I’ve no alternatives, even in my wildest imagination but all politics now annoy me.

My parents always claimed to vote for “the man and not the party,” and in essence that’s what they do, to this day. For MammaHomie, “the man” will always ALWAYS be a Democrat. For PappaHomie, though he has some liberal leanings, particularly w/r/t drug legalization, he votes Republican 9 times out of 10.

I always thought I was a liberal Democrat, without fully understanding what that meant. Then at about age 20 a friend introduced me to conservative talk radio. CTR didn’t change my mind about what I believed politically, rather it re-enforced what I always believed; I just didn’t know that my views were conservative.

My childhood shaped the way I believe about a lot of things politically. The neighborhood where I grew up was pretty rough, and I was bullied quite a bit, so I developed a “tough on crime” stance. There was also a lot of welfare abuse going on where I lived, so I developed a hatred of welfare & related programs. Despite my neighborhood, my home life was prototypically lower-middle-class, Judeo-Christian, white bread, guns-n-Jesus kind of thing that guys like Glenn Beck claim to represent. And most importantly, the utterly worthless “education” I received in the public schools put a very bad taste in my mouth about public education.

As I’ve aged my political views have evolved. Ten years ago I would have called myself a Regan Republican due to my beliefs in economic freedom, limited government, yada yada yada. However, two of the issues I feel most strongly about (drug legalization and education reform) are championed by Libertarians (and only one of those, and you can guess which, is championed by Republicans), as are such things as limited government and economic freedom, so I guess for all intents and purposes I’m a Libertarian.

My parents always voted Democratic. But they were still fairly conservative. I wonder where they would be on Medicare. Well, my father died in 1969, but my mother lived to 1991 and certainly benefitted from and I like to think that she was intelligent enough to realize that it was actually a government program.

Now I have always voted Dem (when I vote in US elections, which isn’t often living in Canada). I am fairly conservative fiscally especially when I see how much better Canada has done, having had substantial surpluses for the past dozen or so years, until this year when, in true Keynsian fashion they had a substantial deficit.

The New Yorker had an interesting article on two ultraconservatives, Toomey and DeMint. The latter especially, said he wanted to get the government to stop interfering in people’s lives. Except of course, he was utterly opposed to gay marriage, to abortion (and I wonder where he stands on drug laws). So he is against government interference unless he personally objects to what the person wants to do. This is what conservatism has come to. Ban marijuana, but not machine guns.

Logic.

Me too. So I assume our political opinions are identical.