How Different are Mayo and Salad Cream

I looked up the ingredients on Heinz’s Salad Cream web page. It is made from pasteurized egg yolks, not cooked egg yolks. So is their mayonnaise. Pasteurized egg yolks have not been heated enough to give them a cooked texture. I think it’s likely that food manufacturers are forbidden by law to use unpasteurized raw eggs in their products. Setting the law aside, I doubt that a company like Heinz would want to risk giving salmonella to their customers.

The biggest difference that I can see in the ingredient list between the two products is the amount of oil. Heinz mayonnaise is 70% oil, while Salad Cream is only 25% oil. Their mayonnaise also contains a little more egg yolk (5% as opposed to 3%), which is probably necessary to emulsify the larger amount of oil.

I think the big difference is the fact that vinegar is listed first in the ingredients of salad cream. It’s well over 1:1 vinegar-to-oil for salad cream, compared to less than perhaps 1:3 for mayonnaise . Salad cream is certainly runnier than mayonnaise.

Did someone say it was?

Good Lord man, you eat it?!?!

:slight_smile:

Huh. Well, I know little of the commercial products, to be honest. I don’t buy either mayonnaise or salad cream - my comment on bottles and jars comes from seeing them on shelves and having them when I was a kid. My own mayonnaise and salad cream are a lot less different in colour than those linked to/named, and my comment on the raw and cooked eggs stands! At least the way I was taught to make them.

I personally use Miracle Whip as a replacement for sweet relish and mayonnaise in tuna/chicken/whatever salad.

Really? Because, until I learned how to make my own mayonnaise, I bought bottles of the Japanese Kewpie brand mayo because it had no sugar in it at all.

Seconded and thirded. Mayo should be tangy from the lemon juice.

I haven’t seen that brand in any of the ASEAN countries that I have been to, but I will definitely keep an eye out for it.

That’s not mayo, salad cream or MW, that’s the hot pepper sauce Mrs M found for me last week. The makers advise that you use one drop at a time and they ain’t kidding. :eek:

My mum (a Yorkshirewoman) used to make it when I was a kid. The egg was cooked in the milk and cream. Her version was far more white than yellow and so was, IIRC, the Kraft version that eventually found it’s way to Aussie supermarkets. We used it exclusively for egg salad sandwiches when I was a lad. Shred lettuce add crumbled hardboiled egg, optional diced tomato and/or diced cooked bacon, dollop or two of salad cream, stir and pile on to thick sliced fresh bread.

Here is a recipe similar to how mum made it. You can see why it is more white than yellow although maybe for us kids she cut down on the mustard?

So the thread has got this far and no one said, “That tastes like puke” (from the Fawlty Towers link) :slight_smile:

Got to second whoever it was that said salad cream with chips. I also like to use it instead of butter in a simple ham sandwich.

The do something similar here in Sweden which is even more runny. To the point of being a bit too runny …

1. I never said it should be mayo, I said it looks like mayo and I picked it up in the store without looking at the jar properly, and bought it by mistake; 2. later in the thread it transpires that my stuff was made in SEA and is 16% sugar compared to the 6% sugar stuff in the US. It does indeed taste like marshmallows, or at least it did before I threw it in the trash with great force.

amanset are you talking about the ubiquitous remoulade, or is that Denmark only?

Nope. This for all the world looks like salad cream, coming in a similar bottle and called something similar. I’m at work now, but if you’re a really good boy I’ll take a photo when I get home.

It should be noted that I had lived here about ten years until I found it. And even then I didn’t find it, it was my Parents on only their third visit. Evidently, I’m useless at finding stuff.

I know you’ve all been waiting desperately for this:

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2346328/Photo%2028-11-2011%2023%2052%2048.jpg

Good gad, that is so…

No, no…

Ohhhh. The cat ate it.

Not a clue about any of this, mind you, but MW belongs on a braunschweiger or “Deviled Ham” sandwich. Mayonnaise belongs on most everything else.

Delicious looking. That’s what you were going to say, isn’t it?

Personal bodily fluids comes into mind…ack…

You may wish to consult a doctor :wink:

Good idea.
I wonder if my health insurance covers reading the SDMB…:dubious: