How do bail bondsmen stay competitive?

Uh, it seems clear to me.
If you have the logo of the company with you, in particular they apparently give away souviner (sp) keychains, then the company gives you a discount on their product. Sort of like the customer cards at the local grocery. What is so hard about this concept?

rbroome writes:

> What is so hard about this concept?

I’d never heard of it before, and it seems rather odd if you aren’t familiar with the idea of bail bond companies trying to attract repeat business.

:rolleyes: Maybe my OP was a little in the stream-of-consciousness format, and if so then sorry. But have you never really noticed that businesses like title companies and accounting firms hand out keychains, pens, and other tchotchkes as advertising? That just maybe, bail bonds companies might do the same, even if you would have nothing to do with “those companies”?
I never explained that the bond companies might want repeat business because I did not know this before posting, and would essentially be answering my own question. Believe it or not, I have not had wide experience with bail bonds, or else I might already have answers to the question.

I guess the question is, “How would the bonding company know you had their keychain?” Wouldn’t your keys be taken from you at the jail? Especially for a serious charge?

I imagine you would show it to them after they had paid your bail, and they would adjust the fees accordingly. That said, IANABB (Bail Bondsman)

Do they ever release people “At Large” in the US, or does money have to change hands (in a legal sense) if you want to avoid spending time in the watchouse?

Neat Firearm,

Yes, released on own recognizance DOES happen sometimes.
Based on rumor, my local jail has actually let confined persons “be their own bondsman” and leave the jail without doing anything but signing a paper agreeing that if they run, they’ll owe the state their bond money. Not a big problem if the inmate is in on shoplifting or somesuch, although I’ll assume that it doesn’t happen to anyone who isn’t in on a relatively petty misdemeanor.
It beats having to tell the cops, “Sorry, we’re full, you’ll need to keep him in the back of your prisoner van until someone’s sentence runs out or makes bail.”
Although, crap, it would be funny as hell to see the Sherriff’s man tell the guys from the Akron PD “no vacancy at either place you can take these guys,” if for no other reason than to see the look on the cop’s face.

Oh, and I’ve known at least one guy who just got served with papers for a simple assault rap… no handcuffs, nothing, just a notice to appear in court.