How do I create a Barcode?

I’m creating a Barcode for my new book. We have an ISBN number, 10 digits, no problem. How do I turn that into a Bar code? We have software to actually create the graphic, but what do I use in the number sequence? I think it uses EAN-13 , because other companies in the field appear to have used EAN, although perhaps it’s not hugely important.

Anyway, what do I do with this?

Try Here

Thanks! I think I got everything I needed. I’ll have a bookstore check it tommorow.

I bought a package of Avery labels the other day and inside was a CD with Avery Design Pro software on it (a repackage of a program called Label Factory Deluxe). Apparently it was a freebee, so I looked on the web just now and found this link where you can download Avery Design Pro Light for free. Anyway, I’ve used the program to print barcodes, and it says it will do EAN-13, and a bunch of other formats.

In the neat hacks department, here is the Pure PostScript Barcode Writer. Use the stack, Luke!

I don’t think having a bookstore check would work because the information needs to be intheir database before they scan it. AFAIK, there isn’t a master database of all ISBNs and prices because stores can theoretically set their own prices and some actually replace the book’s barcode with their own.

At least that’s what happened when my friend and I tried to test out our barcode…

This is correct. Depending on the system the EAN code is either hand keyed or scanned in when the product is placed in inventory. If you are talking someplace like where I work or Borders, Barnes and Noble, etc, it will be entered into the system by the purchasing department when it is ordered so the stores will all have the same data when the product arrives. EAN-13 is the standard AFAIK right now. You will see some EAN-8 floating around still as well. I would be happy to test your barcoding for you, will email.

I had planned to use a local bookstore, actually, but I’ll just email it. Thanks for the offer.

Not true. At my bookstore, I can easily scan a barcode for a product that’s not in my database. My point-of-sale system will convert the EAN code into an ISBN and display the ISBN along with a message saying that the book isn’t in the system. That tells you whether the barcode is built correctly.

As a side comment, if you’re using an inkjet printer, make sure to print the barcode a little bigger than you normally would, and use high-quality paper. Otherwise, the bleeding of the ink can make the code unreadable. I discovered this when I printed a bunch of barcode labels on my old HP DeskJet and none of them will scan. The same labels printed on a newer printer at the highest print quality worked much better. Laser printing works almost all the time.

Also not true. You can rent several different lists, which provide the ISBN, title, author, and other information (including prices). Probably the most frequently used comes from Ingram, a massive book distributor that most bookstores buy from. Stores can obviously change the prices, but this doesn’t require changing the barcode–a price sticker is adequate, just to show the consumers what they’ll be paying.