How do I get a Nevada driving license?

As many on this board know, I am an International Man of Mystery. I work in Saudi Arabia, live in Panama and hold an American passport.

My old Maryland license will soon run out. Since I will be in Vegas in a few weeks, I think I will take the time to change to a no-income tax state.

I have the use of a buddy’s address in Vegas if need be.

Anyone know of the procedures to get a license in Vegas? What proof is required of residence in these day of counter-terrorism?

From the Nevada DMV website’s “New resident guide”: “You must be a Nevada resident and provide a Nevada street address to obtain a driver license.”

But they also say that included in the definition of “resident” is a person: “Who declares himself to be a resident of this state to obtain privileges not ordinarily extended to nonresidents of this state.” Which sounds like it could be anyone who wants to be Nevadan.

Perhaps you should look for yourself.
http://www.dmvstat.com/newresident.htm

Welcome to the neighborhood. Now, stop driving like an asshole and start driving like a Nevadan.

As far as I can recall, you will be asked to surrender your current license and depending on your driving record, may need to take the road test.

When I lived in Vegas, the West Flamingo DMV was brand-new and the lines were non-existant. But it has been a few years, so you is on yer own!

The lines are horrible now! Considering 7,000 people move here every month, you can well imagine the fun at the DMV! A nightmare!

I believe when I went (5 years ago), they needed my last driver’s licence (mine was from California) and I don’t remember exactly, but I needed proof of residency which I think was an electric bill, and or other utility bill with my name on it, plus a bank account or something with my name and current address…I just remember I had a handful of paper on me. Plus your social security card (perhaps a Passport would do, but who knows here?).

You also only have 10 days grace to get a driver’s licence in Nevada, and that goes for new plates on a car.

At any rate, if you are going to do this, do NOT go to the East Sahara DMV…it is the worst. Try to go to one of the outer areas, but trust me - take Lord Of The Rings - all three books. You will have plenty of time to read them all.

(By the way - your last name isn’t Moss, by any chance…just wondering.)

Moss?, no not Moss.

Thank you for the link. I will give this a try while my wife is still in transit to Vegas.

Yes, that is a most excellent link.

Still no real indication that I need some sort of mailed conformation of my address.

Still I will change my address with my banks ASAP. That should fool 'em.