How do I make a good enchilada/ Rancho sauce from scratch?

It can’t be that hard, but all the recipes I have seen online look like they were written by gringos for gringos. I’m a gringo but I grew up in California dammit. I want to make a decent Ranchero sauce! All I can get out here in rural PA is old El Paso, which is fine, but too sweet.

Can you get your hands on dried chiles? Cuz you need dried chiles. Some recipes call for tomato, some don’t. If you can get canned enchilada sauce, you can gussy it up with (Mexican) oregano, garlic, cumin if you like, stuff like that.

Chiles I can get. That’s surprisingly available. It’s just a variety of canned products that is lacking

Here’s an easy recipe from Emeril.

I think you use tomatillos instead of tomato paste for the green version.

4 TBS oil
4 TBS flour
1/2 cup chili powder
4 cups water
1 TSP garlic powder
1 TSP oregano
1 TSP cumin

Heat oil in saucepan until simmering. Add flour and stir to make a roux. Add chili powder, stir. Just before the chili powder roux starts to burn add water slowly, making a paste, stirring, making a thinner paste, stirring, thinner yet, stirring, add remaining water and bring to a boil.

Add garlic powder, oregano and cumin, stir. Allow to boil for a minute and then reduce heat, allow sauce to simmer the longer it simmers the thicker it gets.