How do I make this revolver safe?

If you are going to ask the police for help, PLEASE do call them, as opposed to walking into the station with a loaded, cocked gun. Bad things could happen.

(Perhaps a little obvious, but… better said than dead…)

Regards
FML

Some weapons, especially older ones, may still allow the trigger to be pulled even with the chamber open.

proudliberal: chapp’s suggestion is by far the most sensible if you do not feel comfortable handling a firearm.

If you do, you won’t go wrong following (exactly!) Knead’s advice.

I’ll also second Bobo’s offer, if you live in/near St. Louis.

*"Might have rust or debris in the barrel that could cause the gun to explode in his hand. It is very old and hasn’t been used in probably decades.

Depending on where the gun is located it may also be illegal to discharge it within city limits.
Do not move it - it could be rusted and decayed."*

Dudes, we are not suggesting he *shoot *the gun. We are suggesting a safe way to unload the gun, whereupon he can then take it to a gunsmith and get it checked.

The chance of the gun discharging accidentally is tiny. The chance of the gun discharging accidentally and exploding (especially as it is a S&W) are about the same chance of the OP tripping on a rattlesnake on the back porch and falling into a nest of blackwidow spiders. Sure it could happen, but if he found his granpa’s car in the garage would anyone suggest he not try and start it as it could explode or get stuck in gear and drive through the back of the garage? Cars are pretty damn dangerous too, you know.

Uh, “dude,” someone did, in fact, suggest just that. Those posts you quoted, which you apparently didn’t read, were directly addressing that individual.

Well, guns are pretty dangerous, too.
The OP apparently has no gun experience.
And so in your analogy about the car, my answer is still “do not try this at home”. Would you let somebody who doesn’t know the difference between the brake pedal and the accelerator drive a car?

(also–I just thought of the legal aspect: the gun is presumably not licensed. So he may be in illegal possesion of a firearm. Seems better to call a local gun shop and get an expert to help him.)

If you feel like you really want to do it yourself, I would first go to a gun store or firing range and practice de-cocking a similar .38 a few times until you know you can do it.

The first time that you de-cock a gun, it shouldn’t a loaded gun.

This isn’t the correct way to de-cock a revolver. If you put your right thumb on the hammer to pull it back, you put your left thumb between the frame of the gun and the hammer – i.e. right where the hammer would go if released. In that way, if for some reason the hammer slips out of your right thumb, your left thumb will stop the gun from firing.

Should the OP put something like a bit of wood between the hammer and the shell? Just in case.

proudliberal–please, post again, & keep us updated.

AndI, for one, recommend calling the cops.

The only way to make a gun safe is to destroy it.

:rolleyes:

If by chance the OP is in So Cal I am available.

And I’m available between Seattle and the Canadian border.

Care to elaborate, or is that the best response you can muster?

The o.p. asked a specific technical question (“How can I uncock the revolver without discharging the firearm?”) in the General Questions forum, which exists to provide factual answers to such questions. Your response (“The only way to make a gun safe is to destroy it.”) is contentious, nonfactual, and decidedly unhelpful to the problem posed by the o.p. If you want to debate the merits of firearms possession or screed about the inherent dangers of handguns you’ll want to invest in the Great Debates or The BBQ Pit respectively.

Stranger

Sure, what the hell. I’m kinda bored today. Here’s a few other ways to make a gun safe which don’t involve destruction:
[ul][li]Learn proper gun handling and safety[/li][li]Never store it loaded.[/li][li]Keep the gun and ammunition in separate locations.[/li][li]Use a good quality trigger lock.[/li][li]Secure it in a gun safe or lock box.[/li]Know how to use it properly.[/ul]

Hubert. Read the reply from Stranger just above this one. He got it right.

Since its a revolver he could most likely just release the cylinder and unload it without having to worry about any further accidental discharge unless that model locks the cylinder when cocked. Any semi knowledgable friend can handle this for you. Also if you do take it to a shop, call ahead and put it in a box or something so you don’t walk in with a cocked gun, gun shop staff usually all carry loaded guns while on duty.

Not to be melodramatic or anything (okay, I’m totally being melodramatic for kicks), but proudliberal is being disturbingly quiet.

He’s a Guest.
He may never reply.
<shrugs>

Nonfactual? Only because you’ve decided it is.

See that’s the problem with Americans- you don’t even consider reducing guns as a solution to gun violence, the only debate is whether there should be the same amount of guns or even more guns.