How do I make this revolver safe?

I can’t tell if you’re really good at trolling or really bad at it…
I suppose that would make you really good.

But this is not the forum to debate solutions to gun violence. We are more than happy to address your opinions, but not here. This forum is for questions of fact only, not political debate. We have a separate forum called Great Debates where we do that 25 hours a day. You are welcome to engage in a debate on gun violence and what should be done about it, but not here. Please respect our rules for participating in these discussions.

Sheesh, could you make your bait even more obvious?

Good, Hubert, advise the OP on how to destroy a loaded handgun that he is unfamiliar with and you have a factual and informative post. I can’t think of how that can be done, but you may have a suggestion.

To the OP, if you are in the Eastern NC area, I will travel from SC to Virginia. Contact me.

Sgt Schwartz

Would we have such luck with Hubert?

I never suggested he destroy it himself. There are surely places where weapons can be safely disposed of.

Related query: Years ago, I read about new electronic technology that would allow only the owner of a gun actually to fire it. If it were stolen or a child by chance got ahold of it, it could not be operated. That sounded great to me, but then I never heard of it again. Why weren’t they able to perfect that? Seems there would be quite a market for such a system.

Yes, there are. However, you have to get them there, and in many jurisdictions, it is illegal to transport a loaded AND cocked firearm. So, he still has to deal with that problem.

Perhaps you are against guns so much because you simply do not have any understanding of them.

Are you suggesting that the o.p.–who is clearly unfamiliar with the safe handling of firearms–transport a loaded, Condition 0 (cocked) firearm to a remote location? Because this would not only be a safety hazard to himself and others but it’s likely to be illegal as well.

And has already been asserted repeatedly, this forum is for factual questions and answers. Neither the o.p. (who seems ambivilent at best about firearms and merely wants to know how to render this one incapable of discharging) nor anyone responding to him before you offered up any argument regarding the ethics and politics of firearms ownership. Your initial response and followup posts have offered nothing toward answering the o.p.'s query and have addressed issues far afield from both that posted by the o.p. and that are acceptible in this forum. Take your debate to the previously identified appropriate forums, please.

Stranger

It’s not my wish to debate, you’re the ones jumping all over me because you don’t like my responses. :frowning:

Moderator steps in.

End the debate NOW. PERIOD!

If anyone has anything else to add that will help the OP, then do it.

Otherwise, stiffle yourself!

samclem GQ moderator

The False Hope of the Smart Gun

NRA: “Smart Guns Are Just Plain Stupid”

Do You Really Need A Smart Gun?

The last is mostly op-ed.

Hell, they’re all mostly op-ed.

Note that the VPC and the NRA both agree on something (even if for different reasons). Hell hasn’t exactly frozen over, but I’d be willing to bet Satan double-checked the thermostat that particular day.

That’s close but it’s still not right at least in this instance, i.e., it’s not your gun that you are familiar with and you are not at a safe shooting range. A firearm clearing trap will be needed to trap the bullet in case of an accidental discharge. These are small enough to be portable and either the police or a firearms training instructor should have one. As others have noted, it’s not safe to transport this weapon to a range, so a small bullet trap should be used.

I think using such a device is excessive if you’ve practiced with a similar gun and if you have the gun pointed in a safe direction. In that case, the “bullet trap” would only serve to lessen the chance of property damage and/or embarrasment.

How good do you have to be? I haven’t shot a gun in probably 10 years but I have played around with uncocking a loaded gun before (at a firing range). I wouldn’t worry about doing it myself. Is it really that difficult for some people to do?

Won’t I go blind if I stiffle myself?

It’s very easy. But I still think that the first time you do it should not be with a loaded gun.

Last weekend I took a safe handling course on restricted firearms (I am Canadian) and I can say, from a person who has never handled a handgun, it was very easy and something that I am comfortable doing. I would be nervous if the first time was with a loaded gun, but it is not a difficult maneuver at all.