how do I tell the sex of a lizard

a buddy of mine just got a lizard (not sure what kind, but I’ll find out) and we were wondering how you tell the sex of it. I’m assuming you look somehwere between the legs, but I’m probably wrong.

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I believe that you need to gently squeeze on each side of the groin area. If it is a male, you will see the two “hemi-penes” (yes, they have TWO) pop out into view.

thanks for the info. I promise you I won’t be the one to squeeze.

Out of curiosity, what species of lizard are you asking about? There may be a simpler way to judge the sex.

Lets hope it’s not an adult alligator. :eek: :smiley:

Probably not exactly the same, but back when I had a Ball Python, the guy at The Snake Pit (great name for a reptile store, ain’t it?) sorta bent his tail back sharply about three inches from the end and some white stuff came spurting out. It was way gross.

The python didn’t seem to happy about it, either. He spent the next two hours hiding in my hair.

Those are all male, right? :smiley:

TwoTrouts has the correct procedure for a large number of lizards, but there is enough variety among them that it may not work for your friend’s pet.

If your friend “just got” the critter and does not even know its sex, it sounds as though he ought to be doing some serious research on lizard raising.

The first stop for all neophyte herpers (handlers of lizards and snakes) should be Meliisa Kaplan’s web sites. Look up her “How to kill an Iguana” article and read it, then search the site for the particular species. Dropping the species name into Google™ will also bring up a number of sites for that particular beastie.

(If your buddy has a young iguana, I pity them both.)

Just watch to see which restroom it uses.

With many reptiles, the answer is “you don’t”. It is impossible to tell the gender of many species of lizard, turtle and snake without specimens of known gender to compare them with, or, if all else fails, put them together with and observe the behaviour.

It really does depend on the lizard. I have green anoles and it is very hard to tell the sexes apart when they’re juveniles, but there’s some sexual dimorphism when they reach adulthood (e.g. males are generally larger with bigger, pointier heads; females usually have a white dorsal stripe along the length of their bodies). If there’s any noticeable dimorphism among the species you have, it may help you to determine the sex.

Don’t zoos & refuges often have to use blood tests to tell the sex of lizzards & some birds like penguins?

Heh. My ex had two ball pythons, a brother and sister (from the same litter? egg clutch?) named Hack and Slash but I could never tell which was which. They would coil up on my wrists like bracelets.

It all depends on the species of lizard. With Peruvian Green Iguanas, for example, the males look quite a bit different. As others have mentioned, with a lot of lizard species, it takes an expert to tell.

I’ll agree with tomndebb about iguanas, by the way. If you don’t know what you’re doing, you are highly likely to kill the young iguana through sheer ignorance. I thought I understood them fairly well when I got my first one, and I still made serious mistakes (which, luckily, he survived). A pet shop owner friend of mine told me that over 90% of all young iguanas sold in pet shops die in the first year after being sold.

And, just for the record, Bewildebeest, alligators are not lizards.