How do men in Nudist camps avoid erections?

I went to UCSD at the time, they made Blacks beach the only nude legal beach in the USA. That
beach is right in front of UCSD & it was one of my favorite surfing spots. There was quite a
bit of hanky panky down there & hardone & tons of gawkers. I read its no longer a legal nude beach but
still people use it as such.

Look, I’m sure I’m not the most experienced “nudist” on these Boards, but I have to express my exasperation with some of you.

Over and over when people discuss spending time naked in groups some will express a "Oh, I don’t want to see those saggy/wrinkly/hairy people hahaha " attitude, and it is so naive!

Guys, this kind of comment makes it clear what your first (unexpressed but definitely readable) reaction was - namely, “Oh boy! I can look at naked people!”

That kind of stuff is understandable in people of little life experience or education. But take it from me, although of course there can be some mild pleasure in looking at attractive naked people, it is really not much different from looking at clothed people after quite a short time. It is their faces you remember afterwards, not their dangly bits.

However, a more cogent point to make is that naturism or “Nudism” is not passive (about looking) but active (about being).

I go to the nude swim nights at a local pool because I really enjoy being naked and feeling the water and the air on my skin. To be at the secluded nude beach in South Australia, waist deep in the water, looking back at the cliffs and the sky and the birds, and feel at one with the natural world is an enormous high.

I suppose there is commonly a greater feeling of acceptance, because the kinds of judgements we make of clothed people cannot happen there, and doctors and janitors look strangely alike.

It can be a wonderful experience; I found it quite different from what I initially expected, and it’s a source of innocent pleasure from time to time. Don’t knock it.

Redboss

"To be at the secluded nude beach in South Australia, waist deep in the water, looking back at the cliffs and the sky and the birds, and feel at one with the natural world is an enormous high. "

No no stonefish in those waters I assume? :slight_smile:

Regarding erections at nudist colonies/beaches:

Why? For all the preachiness from nudists of how beautiful and natural nudity is, why is an erection any different? What, because its a sexual response, and nudists would have you remove any sexual aspect from nudity? Isn’t a basic sexual response about as natural as you can get?

Sorry if I seem abrasive, but the attitude on this seems so wishy-washy.

Textile?

Have been to many nude beaches, often with the kids in tow. Erect penises are not usually any bigger deal than - say - erect nipples. The one thing which “the group” does tend to keep an eye out for is perverts hiding in the bushes getting their jollies, or brandishing webcams and putting live feeds on the web (yes, this has happened in Australia).

After hearing Redboss and Reprise, I’m tempted to get me down to a nudist beach when summer comes around. I’ve always wanted to, but been afraid of being judged for my ahem less than perfect body.

There have been several times when I’ve slung my swimmers through my arm, and swam underwater free of anything, when the beach has been deserted, and I love the feeling… That’s it, I’m going to do it. Thank you for inspiring me :slight_smile:

The only other worry is sunscreen… I’ll use lots of it !

Why nudity if not for any sexual purpose? I find clothes icky. I just plain don’t like wearing them. I like the feel of water and air on my skin. Look at it this way: which feels better, taking a bath while wearing a jacket and pants, or taking a bath in the nude? Now extrapolate that feeling.

After a canoe trip while only occasionally wearing clothes due to the weather, it feels rather strange to return to civilization and have to deliberately wear clothes for modesty purposes. By analogy, after a nice vacation, how do you feel putting on a business suit for your first day back at work? Ick.

For me, context has a lot to do with my comfort level concerning nudity. I guess its that I don’t want people looking at me unless I know that they will not think ill of me because of my body. Thus I am a pretty conservative dresser. I know that is dumb, but that’s my comfort level (or lack thereof).

Since I have absolute trust in my close friends, I not only feel comfortable being nude with them, but actually have a preference for being nude with them. It’s nice to be able to enjoy our bodies so openly together. A warm, comfy, togetherness feeling.

I visited Wreck Breach in Vancouver as well. It’s near the University of British Columbia…so a fair number of college kids are there, but it also has your typical middle age folks there.

I remember that they had brochures there at the entrance. The brochures emphasized that “staring” and camera use were verbotten. My experience was that the novelty of seeing nekkid people wore off after about 5 minutes.

I also remembered that booze was prohibited, but that there were guys who would come around and discretely sell you a can of beer for a couple of bucks.

FWIW, “big jim and the twins” were under wraps on beagledave.

Textile as in cloth, i.e. clothing. Some sections of nude beaches (etc.) are ‘clothing not allowed’, but in others, it’s ‘clothing optional’. Comprende?

Si, senor.

I have friends who do the Gay Naturist Summer Camp thing. The attitude there (apparently) is that erections happen. They are naturally occuring events and nothing to be ashamed of. Eventually they go away. Sexual activity in public areas is verboten–it’s Summer Camp, not Sex Camp–but you don’t have to go hide in your tent or anything.

I don’t think it is, or at least not any more wishy-washy than normal. IANAN but I have spent some time naked for no other reason than to be naked and in mixed company too. (I’m actually surprised that so many you seem not to have). I would say that an erection is rude for the reason that it is contrallable and/or hidable. I will confirm what others have said: you get used to it after a while, it doesn’t take too long either. So I’d class it with burping or farting in mixed company in terms of rudeness. Not a big deal, but on the other hand not something you do indiscriminately. Like farts and burps, I’d say that the rudeness of erections would vary accross cultures.

DIGRESSION

One of Isaac Asimov’s fans once sent him this little verse, which the Good Doctor took delight in reciting: