How do other countries celebrate Thanksgiving?

Is that before or after the Airing of Grievances?

Well, actually, there is the story of how St Martinus didn’t want to become bishop. He tried to tiptoe out (of Tours probably) but disturbed some geese in the process whose loud honking noises were quite contrary to the whole tiptoeing and he had to return.

Always found it quite disturbing that that was quoted as the reason why we had goose on St Martin’s Day. I live in Germany, by the way, where we have Harvest Festival (Goose!), St Martin’s Day (Goose!) and Kirchweih (Goose! Donut-like doughy things!). So I guess while there’s no Thanksgiving we still have plenty of fowl annoyed at this time of year.

What does Canadian Thanksgiving commemorate anyway? I know there’s a seperate Dominion Day (like July 4th).

And yep, folks, you’re always welcome to post political viewpoints and all but if so I think it’s only sporting to fill in the Location field.

“The Beautiful Bronx”? I didn’t realize there was another Bronx aside from the one in NY :wink:

<- :ducks and runs for cover:

We celebrate the fall harvest, just like the US (and a lot of other countries, even if the name is different). I think the earlier date is due to the earlier harvest dates due to our more northern location (although IIRC, both US and Canadian dates have shifted around from time to time) and the present Canadian date is the same as the US Columbus Day. Due to cross-border culture leakage, we mostly do the same turkey/cranberry/pumpkin pie sort of thing, but no Pilgrims or football.

We celebrate Dominion Day (now Canada Day) on July 1 for the same reason the US celebrates July 4 - it’s the anniversary of our becoming an independant country (although some of the petty details took a few years longer for us to clear up).

Where I grew up in England we used to have Harvest Festival in autumnal times. In my village this consisted of decorating the church with sheaves of corn, and collecting food to distribute to the elderly and poor. We’d then have a community meal and booze-up in the village hall, with singing, dancing, and the like.

However, in my grandparents’ village, which is by the sea, they would have Blessing of the Boats, where small fishing boats were brought into the church, though it was also accompanied by a food drive. Everyone would then retire to the sailing club for a buffet and drinks. It was tremendously atmospheric.

Though the holiday is not formally celebrated in the UK, I for one make a point, at this time of the year, of commemorating the departure from these shores of the primordial proto-Americans. I do things in rembrance of them, like spelling “colour” and “aluminium” correctly, and not eating at McDonald’s.

Spelling “remembrance” correctly, though … only on Shrove Tuesday, I fear.

:smiley:

In Canada,the serving of brussel sprouts with the bird is compulsory. In the US it seems to be treated as a health code violation. Also, we don’t have the ‘home for thanksgiving’ mass migration back to the 'rents house as seems to be common in the US. We’d drive 50 miles for dinner, but I don’t know anyone who flies home for T-day. And I know everyone in Canada, really :wink:

If you’re referring to the ‘ex-cons’ in Australia, they have much harsher gun control laws than the U.S

Ah, but that’s part of the fun. No prezzies. Cards are extremely optional; my mom sometimes sends them to the little flodnaks, but that’s about the extent of it in our family. And nobody expects you to put up a friggin’ tree or overpriced gaudy doodads. All you have to do is eat yourself stupid, then fall asleep on the sofa in front of the TV. Booze is permitted. Family quarrels are an optional accessory. It’s just about the perfect holiday.

“Treated as a health code violation”?? It IS a health code violation! Not to mention an abomination before the Food Gods :eek:

Remind me to stay away from Canada that one Monday in October…

Yeah! It goes something along the lines of: “God Damnit, we’d give all the best countries away?”

Er…that should be"WHY’D we give all the best countries away?"

Maybe cleaning the gun is a metaphor for another activity …

d&r

Actually, they clebrate this 3 blocks frm my apartment in Chicago, which is located next to what used to be a Scandinavian neighborhood. It used to be quite Scandinavian when I was a kid, and there are still a couple of Swedish restaurants and delis, and the Swedish Museum, but now they are sandwiched in amongst the Korean and Lebanese ones. I love my neighborhood; most eclectic grocery shopping anywhere!

The holiday has mostly become an excuse for the restaurants to serve roast goose specials and kick off the glogg season.

Just put the finishing touches on the wicker man-

Now it’s only a matter of finding a willing virgin…