How do people wounded in mass shooting events, and the families of those killed, gain financial recompense?

I wasn’t shot, but was knifed in the chest and almost died, I lost plenty of money even though I had really good insurance.

I was on short term disability while I was off for about two months, so I lost about half my pay right there (~$10,000). The insurance paid for everything except the deductible, so I was out $4500 there, for a total of ~$14,500.

I was given an option by the state of Michigan to file for compensation from the victims of violent crimes fund, but it would have only paid out about 20% and the perpetrator would have been required to pay that back in monthly installments after they were released from prison. I chose not to go that route for just $2900 because that would have met that the person who stabbed me would have been thinking about me every month until they paid it off, most likely forever. I didn’t want that, I wanted a clean break so I turned it down. Haven’t heard from her going on 10 years now but my cousin contacted her and she screamed at him “Why isn’t he dead!”, so I guess that was the right decision.