How do right-handed Highway Patrol Officers fire their handguns while riding?

Or do they?

They shouldn’t. However, it happens. I can’t locate the video, but I recently saw a news report about a patrolman shooting through his windshield at a fleeing suspect during a car chase.

Here is an example from South Africa:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LRXVO2Yvjg

Single, you shoot with your off hand. Off hand shooting is a pretty basic and common shooting drill.

This one, probably.

While the realities of a situation might cause a diversion from the norm, police in the United States at least generally are not supposed to fire from their moving vehicle into another moving vehicle, for a number of reasons.

That being said, you can fire through a windshield and hit a suspect, there’s several YouTube videos of this, so a right-handed cop could hold the steering wheel with their left hand and fire through the windshield with their right. Again though–firing from a moving vehicle into another moving vehicle violates two things that most police departments say you generally shouldn’t do anyway; many police departments don’t even allow police to fire into a moving vehicle at all.

I assume he’s talking about motorcycle cops. Throttle lock, maybe, but seems risky as hell in any case. Just get the screenwriter to alter the scene.

What if you’re married? :stuck_out_tongue:

Shooting thru something, especially (laminated) windshield glass has the potential to change the direction of the bullet if it doesn’t hit the object (windshield) squarely. A slight change to the direction of a bullet so close to the exit of a barrel is magnified the further the bullet travels. Congrats, you’ve just shot the innocent bystander on the sidewalk instead of the bad guy on the driver’s side of the car.

This is why cops used to ride Indians, left hand throttle.:cool::smiley:

Broken link

Or this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkST-W5Ee0E

Oklahoma Highway Patrol shoots AR-15 through own windshield during pursuit of Michael Vance.

Oh, my ears. Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!

Thankfully, the pursuit was in the middle of nowhere. But still…

Thanks. I wonder how that happened?

It’s unlikely to cause that much of a deformation or change in course. Here’s a video of a cop shooting and killing a suspect through a windshield–it goes without saying it’s graphic.

https://youtu.be/tePGLcYjcVk?t=1m14s

I believe I also said that police generally are trained to not shoot from their car or into a moving car, and any such action would be an “in extremis” one.

The instances where a motorcycle cop would draw and fire while riding have got to be extremely rare. I can’t readily recall a single one in this country. If they did, I imagine it would best be accomplished by shooting left-handed.

On this point, shooting out through a windshield will change the trajectory of the bullet. If the target is very close to the car, it probably won’t be enough to matter, but at more typical vehicle-to-vehicle engagement distances, I’d expect that at least the first few shots would be off their mark by a good bit.

I don’t see him shooting through the windshield.
He was standing up, outside the car, with the door acting as a shield, and he shot between the door and the body of the car.

Here in Minneapolis, we are currently dealing with a case where a police officer, sitting in the passenger seat, fired his gun across in front of the driver, killing a civilian who was approaching the drivers side window in the dark.

Lots of problems with that action.

But police are such poor shots generally (criminals are worse), I can’t imagine an officer riding a moving motorcycle, firing a pistol with one hand, hitting anything except by accident.

This is why Batman had rockets and machine guns.

Police don’t actually fire their weapons as often as is commonly believed. From a Pew report last year:

I can’t see actual data or a quote of how often those who fire are firing. Once and dozens both fall under “ever.” Clicking through to the more in depth analysis of the poll at least hints at how common it is by breaking down the rate between newer hires and those with more experience.

Police who fire their weapons outside of training is a distinct minority. That’s before we even get into serious accuracy issues that make firing while driving a very risky proposition in many circumstances.

“How do right-handed Highway Patrol Officers fire their handguns while riding?”

In the films I have seen they hold the reins in their teeth.