How do "Warranties" work -- if the do work?

To add to this post. I have in fact an adjustable wrench with a lower jaw of different surface finish than the main part of unit. This was a replacement for a unit and obviously a repair from another unit returned for a probable warranty repair/emplacement. Same quality just a different and used lower jaw. I’m satisfied.

I think all pricey handbags companies should do this. Whenever anyone compliments my Michael Kors bag I show them that the straps are falling apart and tell them that when I brought it to the attention of the company they basically shrugged and said “We don’t make straps like that any more.” Indeed, I can see why. Don’t buy Michael Kors, ladyfriends!

To add my experience to this, I returned a ratchet to the local Sears store and they took it in the back repaired it and returned it to me within minutes. I didn’t get a new one.

THis was back around 1985.

No technical about it. You made a blanket statement that makes no sense. The blog you quoted was written by someone who probably thinks a Phillips screwdriver is Milk of Magnesia and Vodka.
The point stands that for ever ratchet/adjustable wrench/tape they sell that they repair they sell dozens if not hundreds of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers that are over the counter replacements.

Coincidentally The Consumerist » Does “Lifetime Warranty” Mean You Have To Keep The Receipt For A Lifetime? was published this morning. Not much new, if anything, that has not already been posted above. On second thought perhaps the bit about the photograph may not have been mentioned above.

Look, you seem to want to make this into an argument. I’m not bitting. My blanket statement as you call it stands and others have backed me up. I have actual experience as others have that repairable items will be repaired. Obviously some items can’t be “repaired” such as a cracked socket or busted hammer head.
but the warranty stands as stated, repaired or replaced.
I’m done!

In all probability, they didn’t make straps like that in the first place. Manufacturing of most designer handbags, shoes and the like is contracted out.

My wife had a similar experience with a non-Coach bag. Nothing but Coach for her now and forever, which shows you why the policy makes sense.

Zippo lighters used to be (still are?) guaranteed for life. You could find a rusty Zippo with the lid missing on the side of the road and mail it to the company and get a new one.