How do "Warranties" work -- if the do work?

How do “Warranties” work – if the do work?

I bought a soaker hose at Lowe’s today. In big letters a blurb on the packaging reads “7 year warranty” . How would one go about seeking remedy if it fails in six and a half years? Six and a half months?

You contact either the retailer or the manufacturer and tell them it has failed, show them your proof of purchase and it goes from there.

Usually you go to the manufacturer and you should be able to find information on how to submit (or at least a phone number to call) on their web site.

ETA: I’m guessing on something low cost like a hose, if you manage to keep the receipt for that long and go through the trouble of submitting, they’ll be happy to send you a new hose (you’d probably pay shipping) just out of sheer amazement.

And read the details about what is covered.

Some items might be considered ‘wear items’ and not covered under the warrant (e.g., the threaded fitting).

I brought a Craftsmen tool from the 1970’s in for a replacement after the tip snapped on it. Years ago, Sears offered a lifetime warranty. They honored it, without receipt, and it was my grandfather’s screwdriver, and he passed away long ago.

Some warranties work like that; some not-so-much.

At the store I work at we usually replace it on the spot. As long as we can identify it as a product we sold.

For some lifetime warranty garden hoses, the procedure is to cut off a few inches from each end, containing the fittings, and send those to the manufacturer. They then send you a replacement hose.

Somewhere on the label there is almost certainly the full text of the warranty. You may have to unstaple the wrap-around label and look at the underside or look at the inside of the box. That will tell you what to do to get warranty service.

Sometimes, it can be quite comical. I picked up a $1 apple slicing device a while back that said it had a lifetime warranty on the outside. The text of the warranty on the inside said “return the item postage-paid together with your receipt plus a money order or cashiers check for $2.50 to cover return postage and handling to the following address…” I suppose that if during my lifetime the price of a replacement rises above $5 and the company is still in business, that warranty will come in handy. But I didn’t keep the receipt. And I’ve already lost the address.

I have a file packed full of warranty statements and receipts. The thing is, I think I’ve gotten a warranty replacement on something maybe once or twice, except my car.

Don’t they still offer lifetime warranties on Craftsman tools? That was a huge selling feature. I had a Craftsman vice-grip (well, Vice-Grip is a brand name and different than Craftsman but you get the idea) and it broke, and they replaced it on the spot. No need for a receipt because if it’s Craftsman, you bought it at Sears.

The generic term for Vise Grip is “locking pliers.” Apparently, some people call them Mole grips/wrench after another brand name, but I’ve never met anyone who actually did.

Computer memory (RAM) often has a lifetime limited warranty. The “catch” is: by the time it would break, you might be on your third computer after the original. Limited at least partially because: if they don’t make the same stick anymore they can try to match it with the best equivalent. No idea what happens if they can’t at all.

Oh, and good advice for anyone: check your credit card(s) fine print. Some offer to extend the warranty by usually 1 year for everything you buy (with that card obviously).

Not sure, but maybe they’ve kept it going. Craftsmen tools have fallen in favor over the years. I think to get old style quality, you have to get Craftsmen Commercial grade tools now. The rest, such as power tools, have lots of plastic; are not intended for commercial/daily use and are outsourced to a company making entry-level stuff.

Maybe they offer the warranty. I am curious now…

As other examples of warranties that work, my wife has had Coach bags which ripped replaced for free.

I don’t know about Craftsman tool warranties - mine have never failed.

I know about warranties on expensive computers from the manufacturing side, and they definitely get honored. Part of the selling price goes to pay for expected replacements.

Wisely, you didn’t send them the obituary. :slight_smile:

Craftsman tools are no longer warranted in the same way as past years. Now if you take a tool (without electronics or electrical components) back they will repair your existing tool or exchange it with an already repaired tool of same or similar type. This applies to such lifetime items as wrenches, pliers, hammers, and screwdrivers that brake (not blades that are abused or worn), but not electrical or electronic items.

This makes no sense.
The lifetime warranty applies to non electric hand tools. Wrenches, screwdrivers, pliers etc.
Nobody, least of all Sears, repairs a broken 1/2" wrench. They give you a new one.
IMHO that 30 year old wrench you broke is probably of a higher quality than the replacement you will receive.

Try it. I did. Keep in mind that if it can be repaired it will be or you will be given a “repaired” unit. If no repair can be had or made in a reasonable time (a few days to a week) then a new one will be given. I am living proof of this policy. Not just once but on several occasions. Also each store has a certain amount of “latitude” to enforce this policy. May I direct you to this site as a guide:

http://toolmonger.com/2006/08/08/a-quick-comment-on-the-craftsman-lifetime-warranty/

It says in part:
“Craftsman hand tools are guaranteed forever. If any Craftsman hand tool ever fails to give complete satisfaction, return it to Sears for free repair or replacement. This warranty gives you specific rights and you may also have other rights which vary from state to state. Other Craftsman tools are covered by limited warranties.”

Also, critically, they ask for a receipt now. Craftsman tools used to be hot garage sale commodities because of the unconditional exchange policy. Also, (I think any relevant statutes of limitation have run out by now so I can tell this) back in high school I got the click-style torque wrench I still use now after buying a broken one at a garage sale for $1 and exchanging it at Sears the same day.

I see nothing wrong with what you did. I’ve found Craftsman tools on the roadside scratched and dented and returned for new units on many occasions. Warranted is warranted regardless of where they came from.

Oh, I didn’t realize in that quote you were saying they now actually repair all broken tools. I seriously doubt that is the case for solid-cast hand tools, unless the “repair” is to melt it down and recast it.

Read down to the bottom. Ratchets are the only tools that are commonly exchanged for a repaired unit. As I said nobody repairs a 1/2" wrench.

OK. If you want to get technical about it. You read the thing again and understand the meaning of the policy. Ratchets were an example and not just the only item as such. Although it most certainly the most common or obvious. However, other “mechanical” items fall under this area also. Tape rulers, and adjustable wrenches for example.