How do we know female cavemen had beards?

Not really. All known skin impressions of Tyrannosaurus are of the bumpy-scaly-lizardy-type. An early relative of Tyrannosaurus (Dilong) was found with feather impressions, but a) this was a much smaller beast, and, perhaps most importantly, b) wasn’t Tyrannosaurus rex.

See here.

If you asked this amateur, I’d totally advise against giving facial hair to female Homo erectus types. It’s pretty clear that in Homo sapiens sapiens, facial hair is a secondary sexual characteristic. So if you’re going to give a Hominid the same hair patterns as modern day Homo sapiens sapiens, you should give them the same hair patterns as modern day Homo sapiens sapiens.

That said, I think it’s pretty likely that our hominid ancestors had some weird and funky natural hairstyles. Closely related species of monkeys that live near each other frequently have wildly different mustaches, beards, tufts, crests, and so on. So if there were two species of hominids living in the same area at the same time, it’s likely that they had very different hair and secondary sexual characteristics.

Abrasions on the inner thighs of the male cavemen.

Maybe I’m blind, but it’s not obvious to me that the woman in the picture has a beard. They clearly have some sort of white substance on them since it is quite evident on their chests. The only thing I can see on her chin in that blurry picture could just be more of that white stuff.

I shudder to think how a similar article in The Sun might have been illustrated.

I thought so, too, but look at this picture of the same duo.

I watched that series, and thought it was pretty good. I didn’t remember the bearded female H. ergaster, though it was several years ago.

[Lord Flashheart]Thanks bridesmaid. Like the beard. Gives me something to hang on to![/Lord Flashheart]

Well, they are supposed to be elderly, and don’t elderly women sometimes develop beards? There was a woman who lived on our street when I was a kid who developed Alzheimer’s and stopped shaving her face and she looked about like this woman, beard-wise, when she’d come out of her house. Then one day she was gone. I always felt bad about not being able to do anything to help her, and never knew what happened to her.

am i the only one who thinks it was meant to represent both chimp-like creatures and modern man? it’s about a link, so it shows both? what kind of man (or woman) would have a full grown beard but be hairless from the neck down?

I can’t say how many others think that, but I can say that it is incorrect.

I do. Why do you find this so unusual.