How do you alphabetize your CDs?

I thought I was the only person who did that!

And now that most of my CDs have been ripped to my audio PC, I use the “Date Accessed” column (you have to add it) in my Windows explorer to see what I haven’t listed to in the longest time.

My anwer is you REALLY need to get out more. :wink:

I tended to group by genre.

Within each genre, the artists/groups were arranged alphabetically.

If I had more than one CD from an artist, I’d arrange the CDs in chronological order (by release date).

I arrange by genre, in boxes because I have over 1,000, and do not bother alphabetizing since I’m swapping out ones on my playlist from boxes all of the time. I just generally remember which box I stored any particular CD in.

campp, you ignorant slut (wait, is that from before the CD era?), J Geils goes under G as the artist name, just like (as an example, not that I have any of his albums) the Dave Matthews Band goes under M, or James Brown and the Famous Flames goes under B, not F.

Yeah, but along with the front booklet CD jewel boxes also contain a rear cover sheet which you’d have to take apart the insides to save. Besides, jewel boxes are just what CDs come in, damn it! At least that’s what they came in when I used to buy them, so to me they’re the same as vinyl record sleeves/covers, they stay with the discs. :smiley:

Hell, when CDs first came out they were sold in the infamous ‘long box’ (till the neo-hippies whined that they were gonna destroy the Earth or something) and I used to save those! (though I eventually threw them away)…

See, this is one good reason why my music library is on a first-name basis with all artists: it avoids such controversies.

P.S. Yes, it’s from several years before the CD era. “You pompous ass.”

I’m curious to know how you would alphabetize the following:

The Alan Parsons Project
Steely Dan
Freddy Jones Band
Jethro Tull
The Marshall Tucker Band

Someone already mentioned their Tom Petty and their Tom Petty & the Hearbreakers albums both go under “P”, which is the way I’ve done it with my Frank Black and my Frank Black & the Catholics albums, even though it seems weird.

What about Edie Brickell & New Bohemians, where “Edie Brickell &” was added by the record label for marketing’s sake, and the band was previously known to themselves and others as “New Bohemians”? Certainly it doesn’t belong under “B”, I’d think.

Does punctuation precede “A”? I’m thinking about bands like …And You Will Know Us by the Trail of Dead and !!!. And presumably numbers come before “A” as well, right?

Compilations? “V” for “various artists”? Yeah? No?

This with the exception of numbers, all numbers are before the alphabet in my organization.

That said that collection is sitting on a shelf gathering dust since they’ve all been ripped to my media library now.

No. Those are filed under the title.