How do you build a bomb?

How do you build a bomb out of things found around the house? HEARD IT COULD BE DONE , BUT HOW?

The Chef

Find another hobby, I suggest stamps

“…send lawyers, guns, and money…”

Warren Zevon

AFAIK, the main ingredients are fuel, oxidizer, a container and a fuse. Common ingredients for the first two are diesel fuel and fertilizer – not necessarily household items but readily available and not suspicious (unless you buy the fertilizer in large quantities and don’t own a farm! Then the BATF will come and ask you a lot of questions!). Black powder is made from charcoal, sulfur and saltpeter, all available at drug stores.

You need a container to, duh, contain the blast for a short time. That’s the “pipe” in a pipe bomb. Surely your house has pipes, but you will probably want to buy those as well.

Fuses are a little harder to come by. A little more science is required. I suppose you could make a homemade fuse by soaking string in a solution of some flammable chemical, but I don’t know what it would be.

All in all, it doesn’t take a lot of money or smarts to build a bomb. The good news is that many bombers learn the hard way that bombs are very sensitive. Building bombs is a good way to win a Darwin award.

p.s. An effective weapon, not exactly a bomb, is a Molotov cocktail – glass jar, gasoline and a rag for a fuse. Light, throw and run. Repeat as necessary.

“non sunt multiplicanda entia praeter necessitatem”
– William of Ockham

Check out “The Anarchist’s Handbook” or do a web search for “Anarchist.”
There’s nothing quite like being the mentor to a future Unabomber.

Hire Kevin Costner to direct.

Livin’ on Tums, Vitamin E and Rogaine

I don’t know what’s on your mind, but don’t do this!
Explosives are meant to be handled by experts, not hobbyists! The static electric spark caused by feet on carpets can cause some kinds of explosives to go off unintentionally, and others can allegedly go off for no particular reason at all.

On a more important note, the saddest fact that I can think of is that so many people in
America today want to prepetuate the evil that permits one man to take the life of another. Whatever is on your mind, DON’T DO THIS!
The is enough evil in the world without you adding to it.

We have met the enemy, and He is Us.–Walt Kelly

The FBI has lots of information about building bombs at home. Because of the Freedom of Information Act, they have to tell you whatever you ask. So, contact your nearest field office and ask them to mail you all the info they have on bomb-making. It’s your right to protect yourself as a US citizen with home-made bombs if ever we’re attacked by a foreign enemy. To find out your nearest field office, check the link below:
www.fbi.gov/contact/fo/fo.htm

Peace.

Once again. This thread is being closed.
The Chicago Reader and The Straight Dope neither support nor condone the manufacture of illegal explosive devices, and do not wish to sponsor a clearinghouse for the discussion of means whereby such criminal activities may be accomplished.

Nickrz
GQ Mod for The Straight Dope