How do you carry your keys?

I’m in the carabiner club as well. I don’t like having anything even remotely bulky in my pockets–my cellphone or cash is about as much as I can handle. Keys poking me in the crotch all day is right out. Also, there’s the fact that before I started doing this, I’d lose my keys all the time. Since I started using a carabiner, I have never lost my keys. (I’ve left them at work plenty of times, because that’s one of the few situations where I unclip–walking around a law office with a set of keys clipped to your belt loop on your suit pants is a bit much even for me.) Looking like a dork and/or sounding like a janitor is a small price to pay. :slight_smile:

I could see a belt loop breaking, but mine’s not clipped to a belt loop. Those other situations you mentioned have never occurred.

It’s just a matter of always knowing where they are and being able to access them (and put them away) quickly. I don’t have to find them in my pocket if I just want to use my car remote, and there’s no risk of accidentally pushing one of the buttons that would unlock my car or set off the panic alarm. Plus, like I said I have a lot of keys, so having them in my pocket would be quite uncomfortable.

Keys stay in the ignition. If I need to unlock the office, stays on my desk.

One steel split-ring with a car key on it.

One steel split-ring with 7 keys for home, work, a safe, and a bike lock. And one rubber Bart Simpson keychain figurine which is hideous after ten years of wear.

I carry them in my front right pocket. If I’m going out and don’t need my car I leave that ring in an undisclosed location in my house.

I’ve never had a belt loop break when I have my carabiner clipped to it, but if it were to happen, the loud crashing of keys hitting the floor and the sudden lightening of one hip would be a fairly good alarm system.

I have one like that, only with three parts. It made more sense when I had home, car, and office keys. Now that I no longer own a car and my office “keys” are access cards, the spare rings are dedicated to my Paris, Las Vegas nail clippers and my climbing gym membership card.

In my purse when I’m carrying one. In my front pocket when I’m not. I only carry my car key and house key so it’s not bulky or anything.

At home they are on the entry way table.

Main reason I use a carabiner is because I have around 30 keys, most of them for work. I have 8 keys on my personal key ring and use the carabiner for those as well.

Truck, house key on remote fob.
All others on a kubotanready for deployment.
I don’t have this many keys on mine.

Key ring, pocket.

I have a key ring with about 6 different keys on it, plus a SecurID token and a grocery store discount card.

I carry my car key separately.

Keys poke holes in pockets, not to mention that a big ring of keys in my pocket looks dorky.

I’m a biker, keys out of pockets works much better when I’m wearing winter gear. I’ve never scratched a car in the parking lot, my keys are on my waist which is smaller than my hips. If my hips fit, my keys won’t scratch anything. If I’m trying to squeeze next to an idiot who chose to park his truck so close to me that I can’t open my door…I don’t care if I scratch his paint.

My keys have never ripped fabric, because I sit on my butt, not my side. Now, my wood chairs did get messed up because my biker buddies have metal on their belts and vests. I started paying attention and learned that the thing that really messed my wood chairs up was the metal gromets in jeans.

I’ve never broken a belt loop with my keys. I don’t jingle when I walk in work clothes. I do jingle when I’m in biker gear, but thats what we do. I have silver bells on my boot and glove.

For the record, I’m female.

On a ring in my pocket.

In my pockets. I also have some work keys which I keep on a retractable chain attached to my belt.

Nine keys (both cars, house, in-laws’ house, assorted padlocks), four store cards and a fob, all on a split ring. (Actually, the two keys I use most often - my car and the house - are on a separate split ring which is attached to the main one.) In my right front pants pocket.

Key rings.

Mom’s house: a heavy steel oval (I’m reasonably sure it could be used to give someone a concussion), with the logo of a company I used to work for. I was leaving after only 4 years and 6 months and said I was kind of sad to miss my 5-year mark. The HR guy gave me one of the keyrings which were going to be that year’s 5-year gifts; I gave him the one I’d been using, which had an Earth stress ball he liked to play with.

My house: a touristy keyring from Egypt, present from a friend and mentor. Dad was his mentor, he in turn has been mine.

My car: an RBS transparent orange piggy.

They’re separated because I don’t always need to carry all of them and because this way I can distribute the weight among several pockets.

Left side pocket of my pants/shorts. When my key ring got really big, it tore a hole in the pocket. Now I keep the number of keys and charms to a minimum.

I have mine on a 4" diameter ring…attached to my belt with a 4’ chain. I like to stand on street corners and swing the chain in circles…it really makes a zoot suit!

2 sets of keys, each on a different shaped steel keyholder. One set of 5 that is my home set and lives either on a hook by the door or in its own pocket in my commuter bag, and one set of a couple dozen for work that lives in another pocket of my bag or on my desk at work. I’m careful about having certain places I “always” put them so I don’t lose them.

I found that out, the hard way, out in the Yuha Desert. Fortunately – miraculously! – we found them again.

Now, I put my keys in a zipper-pouch, and that goes in my pocket.